Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mikea105
Level 2
Level 2

Nvidia GTX 1060 won't boot or install

Post by mikea105 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:53 pm

I just got a new computer with an NVidia GTX 1060 video card. I swapped the hard drive from another Linux computer with a different NVidia card and was hoping it would boot without a lot of trouble. It didn't, of course.

So I put the Linux Mint Rosa 64 CD in and tried to boot from CD and have been completely unable to get the computer to start at all. I've tried using compatibility mode. I tried editing the boot arguments, adding "nomodeset," and/or remoing th "quiet spalsh --" and adding "nouveau.noaccel=1" argument.

No matter what I try, every time I get the boot messages scrolling by, and then the computer freezes with an "Out Of Range" message.

Can anyone help? This should be a great computer, and I'd sure like to get it working without having to use Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help!

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nvidia GTX 1060 won't boot or install

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 pm

The first place to look is in your new machine's BIOS settings. I recommend setting the BIOS to its defaults, after making notes of important settings of course.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:35 pm

My first guess is that your hard drive from the old computer has Linux installed in Legacy mode. Almost all new computers use UEFI as standard setting in BIOS. That's probably why you are not able to boot from the old drive.

mikea105
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikea105 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Okay, I turned off UEFI, and it seems to help. I got it to boot somewhat. However, I can not boot this computer AT ALL in Linux with the GTX1060 card, period, either from CD or hard disk. I just get a black screen. I've tried editing /etc/default/grub and putting in "nouveau.blacklist=1 and "nomodeset xforcevesa" but the video still doesn't work at all.

I have been able to boot the computer in Linux using the onboard graphics, but only from the live CD. If I try to boot from the hard disk, I get a message about X failed to start.

SO I can boot the computer with the wrong graphics and only with the CD. I can download the nvidia drivers, but only in a live CD session, and I doubt they're going to the hard disk when I do that. I've been reading on forums, but I seem to have a chicken-and-egg problem. If i could get it to boot AT ALL from the hard disk, I could maybe get it to load the correct drivers -- somehow. However, I'm completely stuck right now. Can anybody help?

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:51 pm

The gTX 1060 has only been out two or three months now. My guess is that it's too new for Rosa.
I would put the old hard drive back in the older computer, upgrade the Linux kernel to the latest, and then try it again in the new computer.

mikea105
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikea105 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Okay, it looks like I need to give up on using the 1060 for now and wait until I can upgrade the Linux to a later version.

I'm actually more inclined to use the computer with the onboard graphics for now with the Rosa that's already installed. Any ideas on how I could go about that? How do I get and install graphic drivers for the onboard Intel graphics? I can boot the system fine in Rosa as long as I use the onboard graphics, but I can't seem to get it to boot at all from the hard disk. How do I solve that?

EDIT: Turns out there is apparently no way to solve that. I ended up having to do a clean install onto a blank disk.

Return to “Installation & Boot”