Live CD won't start xserver. Solved [at least for me].

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Red Knuckles
Level 1
Level 1

Live CD won't start xserver. Solved [at least for me].

Postby Red Knuckles » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:22 pm

I have a Dell 4500s Intel P4 box 1.8 GHZ 256MB Ram with a Brookdale video chip [I think] or it's Intel 845 that normally uses the "i810" driver. When I try to run the Bianca 2.2 KDE mini CD It will not start x. I've tried suggestions from these links and covered all 4 pages of the Install and Boot forum:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=367358

When I replace 'splash' and 'quiet' in boot menu with 'break=bottom' it boots till I get this error:

.bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

then the (initramfs) line. If I type 'chroot /root nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf' it opens and the driver listed is "i810" which should work. I try that or replace with "vesa" and exit saving changes, if any. Then It boots till I get a blank screen with the X as if it is trying to start x then a blank screen with a cursor which moves but no desktop. When I try "ctrl+alt+F1' instead of terminal I get errors. The thought there would be to run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg'. Anyone know how to fix this??? :shock: :oops:

Question? Is the problem that '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' is incorrect or is it in the error 'bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off'??? :?:

Also during boot I get this error:

Warning: Not Loading Blacklisted module ipv6
Last edited by Red Knuckles on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Knuckles
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Red Knuckles » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Well that wasn't it. I redownloaded and reburned iso CD for KDE mini and it did open [very slowly] and did install [very slowly until it actually got to the installer]. Am I the only person that doesn't like the trend to Live CD/Installer combo. I would much prefer and install only CD.

telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby telic » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:29 am

Am I the only person that doesn't like the trend to Live CD/Installer combo. I would much prefer and install only CD.

The answer to that could depend on which PC folk you talk to.

End users, especially those not yet sold on GNU/Linux, will likely prefer a distro test-drive CD that can also install on a whim. A live CD is also a friendly tool for troubleshooting or modifications.

On the other hand, resellers and system administrators could want a quick install that doesn't require taking the test-drive scenic route.

-------

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:20 am

I'll have to modify the troubleshooter - in KDE you seem to en up in a busy box - have tried from a USB stick but not yet from a DVD - have to mount my DVD burner first
(in the real world)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Installation & Boot”