Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
goodacreng
Level 2
Level 2

Installing Linux MInt 18.0 on an SDD

Post by goodacreng » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm a comparatively new user of Linux Mint (17,3 Mate) having discovered it 6 weeks ago on an old Dell Dimension 9200 desktop that I had bought cheap, intending to install Windows on it. When Windows - which I am very familiar with - refused to be installed I couldn't be bothered with its tantrums any more and have been happily investigating Linux and finding it relatively easy to use, apart from a few things that can be written down to my inexperience with it.

Now however I want to upgrade to "Sarah" and I also want a faster and larger HDD than the 320 GB Seagate drive that the desktop came with. As 'Black Friday" is close it seems sensible to get a good SSD (say 500GB) and install Sarah directly from a DVD which I'm getting from OSDisc; this strikes me as being a safer approach than either trying to upgrade from 17.3 or download Sarah from a mirror. However, something I see in the BIOS of my desktop as it flashes past worries me. There is a statement which I have just about enough time to read that "AHCI BIOS is not Installed" and a fraction of a second later there is another that states, I think, that "Intel Matrix Storage Management" Version <version number> is installed"; I can't read the version number as it is displayed for about 1/10 second. This may be bad news for my SSD plans.

My Dell Dimension 9100 that I left in Virginia had an option to select AHCI in the BIOS, which I did select when I successfully installed an SSD a couple of years ago. The BIOS in this Dell Dimension 9200 however does not offer an AHCI option, or not explicitly so; it only offers a RAID ON or RAID OFF option. There is a wealth, perhaps I should say a plethora of blogs on this subject as it relates to Dell machines. Some say that the RAID firmware/BIOS ( I suppose thats IMSM) supports AHCI implicitly but differ as to whether one should select RAID ON or RAID OFF. A few say that AHCI is not supported at all!! This question was asked of DEll support who seemed to prevaricate on the issue. I therefore have three questions:

1. Has any one installed an SSD in a Dell Dimension 9200, or any other machine whose BIOS did not offer a specific option to enable AHCI mode?

2. Does any one know the answer to the question: "Does the IMSM support AHCI mode?

3. Is there a Linux or Ubuntu tool (like EasyBCD for Windows machines) that will let me see the contents of my BIOS in enough detail to give an answer to either of the 2 questions above?

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing Linux MInt 18.0 on an SDD

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:22 pm

You can get into the Bios mode and see all settings.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/deskt ... s-3491045/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cogier » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:02 am

I've not tried this on your Dell model but I have installed Mint on SSDs without any need to make BIOS changes. It might be an idea to see if there is an update for your Dell BIOS.

You did not have to purchase a DVD to get Mint, it is available for free from here https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. You have the tools to burn a DVD (Brasero) or flash a USB stick (USB Image writer) in Mint 17.3.

atari800
Level 3
Level 3

Post by atari800 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:29 am

1. Has any one installed an SSD in a Dell Dimension 9200, or any other machine whose BIOS did not offer a specific option to enable AHCI mode?
--yes Dell Inspiron 530

2. Does any one know the answer to the question: "Does the IMSM support AHCI mode?
--I believe it does but being such an old machine it was possibly at the point of RAID and AHCI becoming popular

3. Is there a Linux or Ubuntu tool (like EasyBCD for Windows machines) that will let me see the contents of my BIOS in enough detail to give an answer to either of the 2 questions above?
-- I toggled it on and off and regardless of settings, the disk benchmark program still shows 250MB/sec transfer so dont expect a night and day performance boost from it. AHCI "could" improve performance on a DISK drive but SSD doesnt benefit from optimized head positioning
Try "dmidecode" and "biosdecode"- it will give you info about your system but you might need to google the results
Deja VU: When you get killed and restart your life at a saved point in time
Always research any suggestions given to you.
Admins: Please delete my inappropriate/destructive posts - you have my authorization

Return to “Installation & Boot”