Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
HankB
Level 2
Level 2

how to unlock install media screensaver

Post by HankB »

I just booted Linux mint cinnamon (latest - just downloaded linuxmint-18-cinnamon-64bit.iso. not the beta.)

I started a long job - backing up existing drives 'just in case.' The screen saver kicked in and I can't figure out how to unlock it. Wiggling the mouse and banging on the keyboard brings up a lock screen but w/out any login option. :(

This is stupid beyond belief.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: <ctrl><alt<F1> got me to a console window where I was presented with a bunch of errors relating to squashfs, I'm running the integrity check on the USB drive. That is probably why the lock screen would not go away - unable to load the password popup.

On my laptop the USB drive checks "no errors found."
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: how to unlock install media screensaver

Post by Cosmo. »

The live system has an empty password, so a simple key press should bring you back to the desktop. If this does not work for you the culprit must be on another place. Try to boot in compatibility mode.
jodel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jodel »

I have the same problem. I just ran the BETA from DVD and am in the screensaver. Apparently there is no Login button, so I pressed on an icon that looked like people. I am now stuck in a screensaver that says "Press F1 to enter a username" but if I enter "mint" with no password, it won't accept the entry. It looks like this is meant for login in as another user from the screensaver. Also there does not seem to be a way back to the initial screen, pressing Escape does not help, I am stuck on the "Press F1 to enter a username" screen which won't allow the currently logged in user to log in.
Pressing on the "Gears" shows the "Select a session" query, which stays now on top of the screensaver even with the username window closed.

There does not seem to be any way to get back to the initial screensaver to just try to press "Enter" - I am stuck. Any ideas?
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

jodel wrote:I have the same problem. I just ran the BETA from DVD
No, you don't have the same problem. The screensaver in Mint 18.1 has been completely rewritten. This means, that the technical background might be different.

Either report this as a possible bug here (preferable) or open a new thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”