Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
elmarts
Level 3
Level 3

accessing other users files on HDD from Live CD

Post by elmarts » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:12 pm

My Mint 18 just borked (see post under nvidia driver problems) - but I would like to pull off the files (including hidden one) in my home directory on the HDD, but the Live CD will not let me copy anything - despite the fact that as booted into the live CD I am a super user. How do I get around this "security"?
- Elmar
Dual boot win 7 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
MATE 1.20.1

JeWu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: accessing other users files on HDD from Live CD

Post by JeWu » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Always use sudo from CLI.

If using a GUI tool, be sure to start it with elevated rights.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 pm

but the Live CD will not let me copy anything
Of coarse it will. Which files do you wish to copy and to where? --perhaps you
do not have ownership/write permission for the destination.

elmarts
Level 3
Level 3

Post by elmarts » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:25 am

As you can tell, I'm a newbie with this, and the command line for me is something I have not really looked at since the days of CPM (yes I'm that old... :) ) I would like to save my installed programs and my home folder so that I can reinstall from the CD and not have to reinstall all the programs and updates from scratch and also preserve my data. I do not see any "repair" type of installation option on the live CD similar to the repair disk in windows -- Is there one?
- Elmar
Dual boot win 7 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
MATE 1.20.1

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:41 am

There is no "repair" type.

Back to the main question: If you have booted the live system open the file manager and click to open the drive with the user data in the left panel. (Might appear a little different regarding the desktop environment.) As long as the partition with the user data is not encrypted you should see them and you should be able to copy them to an external media.

In this context: I strongly advise against using elevated rights for that. That is not needed, but it is very likely to create new headaches for you.

If this does not work as described, than please describe in detail, what happens inclusive possible error messages.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:54 am

elmarts wrote:As you can tell, I'm a newbie with this, and the command line for me is something I have not really looked at since the days of CPM (yes I'm that old... :) ) I would like to save my installed programs and my home folder so that I can reinstall from the CD and not have to reinstall all the programs and updates from scratch and also preserve my data. I do not see any "repair" type of installation option on the live CD similar to the repair disk in windows -- Is there one?
Well you can certainly clone your entire drive/partitions, and in the worst case scenario restore your entire Mint OS.
clonezilla will do this job nicely--top notch. There are also other methods.
The great thing is you rarely need to do this. While it's a good thing to have, as you gain experience and confidence you will be less reliant on this, and you will learn to correct your mistakes as opposed to restoring in a willy-nilly fashion. btdt

Return to “Installation & Boot”