Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Dual boot fails on 18.1

Post by josweet » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:16 pm

NB> This is only when i try to dual boot. If i manually select using F8 the Mint SSD or Win10 SSD, i have no problem & the O/s starts as normal.

My dual boot system worked fine on LM18, but now sits on the screen below on 18.1. Fresh installed for LM18 to 18.1 as i was upgrading my SSD
I am running 2 drive & both drives were installed separately without the other connected>
SSD 500GB > windows 10
SSD 250GB > LM18.1

I previously used EasyBCD within win10, which worked flawlessly to boot, but i get the message below when making my boot selection for LM18.1

DSC07106.JPG

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Dual boot fails on 18.1

Post by Pierre » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:35 am

that screen - means that the Grub Boot Loader is working, on dual_boot,
but - the main LinuxMint partition - is missing.

so - can you work out what partition, that EasyBCD is pointing to ?
when booting into LinuxMint - that is.
& why it's missing via the EasyBCD loader ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josweet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks Pierre, im no expert within LM, so i was kinda guessing that it could of been that, but i have have selected "auto detect and load" as well as the "partition2" both with the same result.
I basically repeated what i did on my previous SDD dual boot of LM18 which worked. Maybe im missing something !

LM18.1 on Drive1
bcd.jpg

jwiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwiz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Obviously the boot loader fails to find the grub installation /boot/grub on the disk.
It seems to me that the boot loader was not written during the new installation (Secure Boot preventing it?) but is leftover from the previous LM18 installation and now pointing to a wrong/invalid partition.
Perhaps you did change partitions during the new installation?

You could try to boot from your installation medium, do a chroot to the installed LM 18.1 and re-install the boot loader into the MBR using 'grub-install --root-directory=DIR/boot /dev/install_device' (cf. man grub-install).

josweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josweet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 pm

The MInt boot loader must have been installed correctly as a stand alone install, as the drive boots fine into LM when selected as the boot drive in UEFI or F8.
Both o/s's boot fine as individual drive's, but only win10 will boot when making a selection from the dual boot menu.

LM18.1 partitions were not manully changed during install, & were left to LM to determine.

I still come under the category of a noob in LM, & i have no idea how to accomplish an MBR reinstallation within the LM environment..
Would i be correct in thinking your suggesting booting via live CD/USB, opening a terminal selecting my LM drive and running the command "grub-install --root-directory=DIR/boot /dev/install_device"

jwiz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwiz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:26 am

Hmm.., the hard way of re-installing grub may be a bit too tricky and error-prone for a new user yet unfamiliar with Linux, so I suggest a different approach.
From what I see on you EasyBCD image (if that's a correct one), you have installed LM onto a Mac formatted (HFS+) device.
I have only fairly limited knowledge of how Linux handles Mac devices, but I'm pretty sure, Linux can't boot from a Mac partition directly.
Judging from the image, I assume that the 1st partition (512 MiB) on drive 1 is a boot partition, calling up the Linux installation on the 2nd partition (HFS+ 224 GiB) and the 3rd partition (8 GiB) is most probably the swap partition.
This setup may have been the reason why the grub boot loader was wrongly installed during the 18.1 upgrade.
You could probably save yourself a lot of current and future hassle, if you do a fresh setup from your 18.1 installation media but run gparted (PartiionManager) first and delete all 3 partitions on drive 1 and format the whole as ext4 file system.
The let the installation app run it's cause.

Return to “Installation & Boot”