Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ekravets
Level 1
Level 1

Install onto HP pocket media drive

Postby ekravets » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and especially to Linux Mint. I had driver issues with Kubuntu and my NVIDIA graphics card, and I wanted to give Linux Mint a try because I read that it had taken special precautions on the driver compatibility front.

I'm thinking of installing it onto a removable pocket media drive from HP (uswb) but a friend of mine noted that Linux installations had run into trouble on such media. Does anyone here know about that, or should it be clear sailing?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm really eager to make the switch to Linux.

Erik

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Install onto HP pocket media drive

Postby viking777 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Just get the live cd and test that out.

As regards installing onto external USB drives, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that your friend is right. I have never done it myself but reading the forums it seems to cause more problems than most other installs - just put it on your hard drive for now and get it working. Later on maybe try it on a USB drive.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

ekravets
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install onto HP pocket media drive

Postby ekravets » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 pm

I would rather use a second and/or removable hard drive because then, if anything goes wrong, I could reformat everything without complications. But if the removable drives really are such a problem I will have to see if I can do a work-around.

Thanks for the warning, though.

I'll try it out, just to see what happens, leave a report here on how it goes. Maybe it will be of interest to somebody. :)

Erik

Return to “Installation & Boot”