Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Can't boot Asus x550la

Post by dld »

I found it desirable to replace LMDE on a dual boot with Win10 with Mint 18 on an Asus x550la. After installing all I can get is "grub rescue file not found." I tried all the web suggestions for using grub rescue as far as I could. Never succeeded. I tried most every other suggestion on the web. Super-grub does allow me to start up Mint18 or Ubuntu16.04, and I tried all of the "install-grub" suggestions. It enables me to install and run boot-repair, and it runs and runs, suggesting that I move boot partitions, one of which is already at the start of the disk and the other I moved to immediately follow the Windows partitions. Doesn't do it. Grub rescue....
Boot-repair did prepare an extensive report on my system. http://paste2.org/PaW3CVG0 It mentions a problem in sda1. It lists the operaing system as Ubuntu 16.04 although it was actually Mint 18. This is way beyond me. Can you examine the report and make a suggestion of how to restore that computer to bootable status? I fear touching Win10.
Don

Return to “Installation & Boot”