Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Wrong SSD temperature reading breaks installation

Post by drvlas »

I have a new Kingston 256GB SSD. I try to install Linux Mint 18.1 from USB system. After I choose partitions and try to continue the error window pops up with a message that there is some error with a drive. Maybe it's ti hot, as a possible case.

Installation Failed
[Errno 5] Input/output error
This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk....
...or move the system to a cooler environment

I check SSD with test programs. They show it's OK, but I see a temperature is 100C (212F).
From other forums I see that the problem is in wrong temperature readings. The SSD controller gives temperature as id 194 (real) and as id 231 (it's not a temperature at all). The obvious fault of the SSD controller. But Kingston, as it seems, is not going to eliminate the error (what would be the best solution).
All topics I've read through deal with the problem DURING the work use of SSD. So the remedies were in the domain of ignoring the wrong readings.
My case is different. I cannot install the system. So I need some workaround. Can the installer be calmed down and ignore the temperature? Or what?
I've read the topic Linux Mint SSD Heat too. It looks not mine case.
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wrong SSD temperature reading breaks installation

Post by drvlas »

Here is a Kingston SMART Attribute. It states that id 194 is Temperature and id 231 is SSD Life Left.
I wrote a letter to Kingstone, but I expect they are not concerned about Linux Mint installation. Even their Kingston SSD Manager runs only under Windows.
Besides, if they have clearly stated that id 231 is NOT a temperature, it's a user problem if he tries to read this parameter as a temperature value. I'd say it's a Linux Mint Installer software bug.

I can return the SSD. But what happens with other type? Maybe the right way is not to test SSD-s one by one? I'm too much of a newbee to see the whole picture. So I ask the Community: maybe not exact answer but some guidelines.
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drvlas »

There is definitely a bug as I see here. Some patch exists. But my user's level is too low to understand what can I do.
How do Installer uses his own system files? Is it possible to apply a patch while I'm working under USB Live CD - so that the system stops to analyse id 231 SMART parameter?
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"Wrong SSD temperature reading breaks installation" Not number 1 on the list of suspects. "[Errno 5] Input/output error" is a straight forward hardware error from the kernel. Either it can't read a block from the USB or it can't write a block to the SSD. Either way it needs you to track down the hardware error. The 'Disks' accessory Read+Write benchmark would be a good start.

"This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk...or move the system to a cooler environment" See? Faulty DVD (USB for you) or faulty hard disk (SSD for you). The 'cooler environment' refers to actual overheating, which can cause storage I/O errors. If a component is too hot to touch, it's too hot.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drvlas »

Thanks for an answer!

I checked this SSD with Disks. It says that the disk is OK. I see the reports of the problem: some software (and the kernel in our case) reads SSD temperature from 231-th attribute, where Kingston holds a value of 100 for a new device. So I'd rather believe the SSD is OK.
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"It says that the disk is OK." I think that's the SMART report. Read+Write benchmark will test the power-supply and cables too.

"I see the reports of the problem" It's a problem, but I don't think it's the problem. If the kernel cared about your SSD temperature it would just shut down. Did you run the Check Integrity test at the beginning of a Live Session boot, to test the USB for readability?
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drvlas »

Mute Ant wrote:Did you run the Check Integrity test at the beginning of a Live Session boot, to test the USB for readability?
I'm not sure I've got you. Can you tell it more explicitly?
Now I write from the PC that is under the discussion. Here is screen shots. In the 1-st screen shot I scrolled attributes to show 194 and 231.
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drvlas »

The benchmark test (runs only without write checks)
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"Can you tell it more explicitly?"
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drvlas »

Ups...

The check freezes at
./casper/filesystem.squashfs
(for a time I can write it down) and finishes with "error found in 1 files"

I'll repeat the transferring the system to my USB...
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

I guess the 'freeze' part is just because of the size of filesystem.squashfs, it's most of the distribution and very important.
drvlas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drvlas »

Yes Sir!

It works!
After rewriting the USB stick (and double integrity check) the problem is gone. I installed Mint 18.1 and this post I make from the new system.
Now I think about some sort of moving the old /home to the new SSD. But this is quite an other issue.

Mute Ant, thank you very much!

Cheers,
Yury
Aristotelian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aristotelian »

Confirming, exact same problem with Kingston UV400 120GB. Install fails with either temperature error or I/O error. Same errors with Mint and Ubuntu.

However, I reformatted the disk to FAT using my Mac and it appears to be functioning as external drive, so appears to be some kind of firmware bug.

OP, all you did is run the integrity check twice?
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

OP core-problem was trying to install with a damaged squashfs. They reburned their boot stick and it passed the Integrity Check, twice.

The installer 'I/O' error is real. The 'temperature' reference is just a guess about why there's an I/O error.

You can check the integrity of the running Live Session medium with a dummy-run of the 'input' part of the install... reading the squashed OS...

sudo find /rofs -type f -exec cp -v {} /dev/zero ';'

You can check the unpacked Live Session packages against the repository versions with the debsums command. You have to install it first...

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install debsums

...then run it looking for not-OK files...

sudo debsums | grep -v "OK"

It's normal for a few files to fail this test, they have been edited by the Mint team. If you get FAILED with an I/O error there's something wrong with the Live Session store.
Aristotelian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aristotelian »

Thanks for the reply. So the problem for OP was with the USB system doing the install? In my case it appears to be a hardware issue on the computer because it happens with different USB sticks running Mint or Ubuntu. I was trying to install on new SSD. However, the issue seems to happen as well on an old HDD that appears to be working. Not sure what the next step is.

Tried AHCI and IDE mode.
Aristotelian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aristotelian »

Updating: I ran a Memtest and that seemed to be the issue. Replaced with working RAM and got the install to run successfully.

Return to “Installation & Boot”