Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
logithack
Level 1
Level 1

Creating a persistent live usb stick

Post by logithack » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 am

hey everyone,

i'd like to create a persistent installation of Linux Mint 18 on a usb stick as though the stick was a HDD. to do this, i've tried various methods. the one that was closest to what i'm looking for is described in this post: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=150610&p=789346#p788866

however, i'm now getting the following error: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/target/usr/lib/libreoffice/share/basic/Access2Base'

i'm using a Kingston DataTraveler 32GB USB 2.0 stick.

help is greatly appreciated!

regards,

haxxurrtje

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Creating a persistent live usb stick

Post by rdonnelly » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 am

Clem recommends Unetbootin in this blog under the cons of Mintstick.

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

hallergard
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hallergard » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 am

You might want to consider a very different method: Clone an existing HDD partition with Linux onto a fast USB-stick. https://goo.gl/J9O2uw I use partimage as cloning tool, which does not always work with ext4, so I use ext3 instead. If your Linux is on an ext4 partition you could use another cloning tool, like Clonezilla.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:11 pm

i'd like to create a persistent installation of Linux Mint 18 on a usb stick as though the stick was a HDD
this doesn't sound as a persistent live USB. This sounds as a standard install, but on a USB instead of a HDD. The latter is easy to do : boot a live USB, plug the other USB, use 'something else' in the installer and define your / partition on the USB, and in 'device for bootloader installation' point to the MBR (for a legacy/BIOS install) or the ESP (for a UEFI install) of the USB. You may or may not want to also put a swap partition, depending on your forecasted use and the type of computer where you plan to boot it.

If you really want to do persistent live USB, you can do it from Mint with the package usb-creator-gtk.
Note that you cannot upgrade the kernel in such case. The only advantage of a persistent USB over a standard install, is that you can use it to install Mint on a computer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”