Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nicholas
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Easy dual-boot method

Post by Nicholas »

Craisin (and MALsPA)
I went ahead and built another computer - had an old case, power supply, and a spare HD so I only had to pick up a mb, cpu, and ram. The mb has on-board video (with the video shadow you mentioned) but I'll pick up a video card soon and lose that. Mint doesn't like that shadow either - really looked bad when I tried it.. I keep thinking that having XP on the same computer is most of the problem with a dual-boot setup. It sounds as though you (and a couple of others) had the same thoughts. On dual-boot loading Linux or maybe BSD on 2 drives (either IDE or SATA might be a good idea.) SATA drives are all primary, so it doesn't matter which one you choose, it will be primary; and changing the BIOS setting on startup to either one as the boot disk - might work. I'll have to try it. Maybe the switch would work better too - if Windows was not on the circuit. :shock: :P
craisin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by craisin »

Hi Nicholas Ive been busy fixing family and friends PCs and in between times maintaining my 50cc motor bike.

Ive downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 again as i like it better than 8.10

And i have to update my mint 4 soon
Nicholas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nicholas »

Craisin, I tried Ubuntu but just can't get into the color... brown is not a pleasant color to look at all the time The desktop looks like someone shot mud out of a cannon at a barn side and it stuck. And I like Mint 4 better than 6 - didn't try 5, but Mint 6 seems to be a green version of Ubuntu.. I've tried a couple of other Linux distributions, but had have problems with sound, can't get it to work. It works okay in Mint though - the guys on this site have the edge on a good-running Linux distribution.
N.
craisin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by craisin »

Nicholas its quite easy to change colours of folders and things . My desktop is brown but I dont look at that all the time.
My original dual-boot works fine with XP
Ive given up on the so called Easy Dual Boot as in the big picture its easier to do what Fred said.
I have been using Ubuntu for a long time now and I find it easy to use and find fixes for it.
Plus I have 2 legit XP systems to fall back on
You would have to present a better reason than colour to impress me
All the best
Nicholas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nicholas »

Hello Craisin - not trying to impress, just learn from you guys. Presently I'm beta-testing Windows 7 Ultimate and it's Vista all over again. A monster to download - 3.5GB, took me 14 1/2 hours to download - and it reminds me of Ubuntu, except for the colors. :lol: (I have a satellite connection.) The graphics are great though, and it is really beautiful to look at, but it comes without an e-mail program so I had to install Mozilla Thunderbird - which runs great in Win 7 BTW. Anyway, I tried Mepis 6 for a couple of weeks - it's a nice OS too, but I problems with the sound setup - eventually I got it to work, but the Thunderbird mail application clone that it uses is less than pleasing.... Anyway, it's good to communicate with you guys, keeps me sane. I'm just a retired old geek with lots of time on my hands - usually work on my computers all night and sleep during the day. Stay well.
Nicholas :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Nicholas wrote:I'm just a retired old geek with lots of time on my hands - usually work on my computers all night and sleep during the day.
That might be me in a just a few years!

Count me as another one who isn't concerned at all about a distro's default colors.

Nicholas, have you given Mepis 8 a run yet?

On my Linux machine, currently running Debian Lenny, Mepis 8, Mint Elyssa, and Ubuntu Hardy. XP on one spare (kids use it for games and mp3 players), Kubuntu Dapper on another spare, some older versions of Mepis and Windows 98 sitting on a couple of other old PCs.

As for dual-booting, for those interested, here's an approach (removable hard drives) that a friend of mine takes, I think it's similar to lexon's approach:

http://www.computerbob.com/guides/my_ha ... oot_pc.php

Hope that contributes to the discussion; I've mentioned this thread to him, by the way.
marvinudy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marvinudy »

Folks,

Assuming you have a MB with the BIOS capability, the 'method' of dual boot I used for a friend will also work.

A friend who is learning Linux installed a larger second(primary-slave) PATA drive to continue his Linux education but insisted on leaving Windows XP on the first(primary-master) PATA drive with no alterations to any part of the Windows XP drive including the MBR or changing master/slave orientation and using remapping in Grub.

The motherboard BIOS has the ability to choose the boot device on start up by using the F-11 key during BIOS boot. This method assumes the users computer also has the ability to select a 'boot drive' during the boot-up process.

Steps we followed

(1) Did nothing with the Windows XP drive (Primary-master).

(2) Installed Mepis 8.0-32 on drive #2 (Primary-slave) on a primary partition, ext3 formatted, executing the following steps during the setup and install process after formatting the new (Primary-slave drive):

(A) Instruct the install program to use manual disk partition selection and select to install Mepis 8.0 onto sdb1 (new Primary-slave drive).

(B) Instruct the install program to install the GRUB boot loader in the MBR of the sdb (master-slave) drive.

(C) Instruct the install program that the system will boot from the sdb (master-slave) drive.

(D) Reboot the computer after completing the install process and use the F-11 or other appropriate key to select the boot device.

(E) Select the default entry in the graphic boot loader menu and expect to see an error message of "file not found".

(F) Hit the enter key and a standard 'Grub' menu will appear.

(G) Highlight the first entry of the menu and hit your 'e' key on the keyboard to 'edit' the entry. You are now looking at the actual boot sequence from the 'menu.lst. in the installed Mepis 8.0.

(H) Highlight the first entry not preceded by the "#" sign of the menu which should be labeled as:
"root (hd1,0)".

(I) Hit your 'e' key on the keyboard to edit the entry as follows: Change (hd1.0) to (hd0.0) and hit the enter key followed by the 'b' key to boot the newly install system. If done correctly, your new system should boot up correctly.

(J) Log in as 'root' and use an editor such as 'nano' to edit the "boot/grub/menu.lst. file. In each of the first three entries, change all the 'root (hd1,0) settings to (hd0,0) and save the newly edited file.

(K) Reboot the system and during the BIOS boot sequence select the appropriate key to boot the second (primary-slave) drive as your boot drive.

You should now see the graphic boot menu and be able to boot into the second drive, primary partition 1 with your newly installed Linux.

Best regards,

marvinudy
Nicholas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nicholas »

Malspa - I meant Mepis 8 - not 6... it looks great, and runs very quick - but I had some problems, each taking time to correct; the screen resolution is one. Actually easy to correct though. Just hit F3 on boot and choose the resolution from the chart - and it stays put; my resolution was so small I couldn't read the text at all - 1900x1600. The sound is another problem, in my case there were 2 choices for sound drivers... the 2nd one made it all work. Then there is the IceDove browser - i.e., a Thunderbird clone. Couldn't get it to work no matter what. I still like Mint better (even though it's green. :wink: I've created a couple of desktops for Mint, but need to learn how to post them on this site in a message.

Marvinudy - that's a pretty good grasp of that dual-boot sequence... I like that method. I had been thinking along those lines, but am not that familiar with Linux yet to try it. (I've been stuck using Windows a long time) I mentioned it in a previous message - just didn't know all the steps. How is it working? Any problems yet?
Keep up the good work- you guys are pretty sharp.
N. :mrgreen:
craisin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by craisin »

I now use a Rescue Disk to boot my Linux HDD thats a multi-boot and plays nice with XP

Sad how long it took me to work it out but it works well :lol:
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

Please don't bump 3 year old threads.

Topic Locked

Return to “Installation & Boot”