C-states

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

C-states

Post by jsb »

Hi, new mint user but have been on linux for about 3.5 years. Started on Peppermint and most recently Xubuntu. A couple years ago, I also did get my wife to give Mint a try, when her windows got messed up to the point that we would have to reinstall anyway. She's never wanted to go back since.

Anyway, I recently installed Mint 18.1 XFCE on a Dell Optiplex 760. After installing, it booted up with no issues.

Subsequently I went through the bios settings and changed a few things. In going through BIOS settings there was an option to enable c-states and it implied some energy savings with that, so I thought "why not"?

With C-states on the machine won't boot to Mint. It gets stuck with just a flashing cursor and the only thing I could do was turn off with power button.

Of course, no big deal to just leave the c-states thing off, but figured I'd check if there was a simple way to make it work. I did search, but "c-states" ignores the c and just gives results as if I had searched for "states".

If it matters I am using kernal 4.4.0-53, which was listed as "recommended for stability".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: C-states

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: C-states (solved)

Post by jsb »

Thanks.
"Most newer Linux distributions, on systems with Intel processors, use the “intel_idle” driver (probably compiled into your kernel and not a separate module) to use C-states. This driver uses knowledge of the various CPUs to control C-states without input from system firmware (BIOS). This driver will mostly ignore any other BIOS setting and kernel parameters"
It is an intel core 2 duo.

Return to “Installation & Boot”