Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hunkerdunker
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Stubborn Install - Lenovo 110S

Postby hunkerdunker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Here are my computer specs

I installed the ISO (17.2 mint) via USB (Transcend)
(Used the exact same stick on my workstation, worked flawless)
Got into Live CD - installed from this page
------------------------------------------------------
1. From live usb, open GParted and delete all exiting partitions. Execute that process before continuing (Hit the arrow key for "Apply All Operations"). (Note: if won't allow you to delete you need to unmount the partitions. To do that: click on a partition, then look for "Unmount" under the "Partition" menu in GParted.)

2. When have nothing but free space left: click the free space then the icon for creating a new partition (upper left). You'll be able to click and grap the right side of the free space area and move it to the left. Do that until the size is around 20-30GB. "Free space preceding" -- leave at 0 or 1. "Free space following" -- leave this alone for now. "Align to" -- MiB. "Create As" -- Primary Partition. "File System" -- ext4. (Optional: "Label" -- System). Click "Add" box. This will be your / (root) partition when doing new install.

(If you want just one large partition for everything then make the size of the above partition the whole disk except for 8GB at the end (far right of GParted picture of drive). Then skip to #4 below.)

3. Create /home partition same way as above. Click free space area and create new partition. Again pull size from right to left -- this time only pull far enough to leave 8+GB of "Free space following" the partition. Again, Primary Partition, file system - ext4, ... (Optional: Label -- MintHome). Click "Add".

4. Click remaining free space on right (approx. 8GB), create new partition. "Create as" -- Extended partition. No label, just click "Add". Then click inside the newly created Extended partition and click to add new partition. Leave sizes alone and move straight to "File system" -- choose "linux-swap". Click "Add".

Now your GParted picture should show the three areas with new partitions. Look to see if they appear correct. If all looks good click the arrow to "Apply All Operations".

Now hard drive set to go. Will make another post for installation to the drive.
-----------------------------------------
Now that partitions are made, when get to the part of installation asking where to install, choose "Something Else".

When get to next screen showing your hard drive, DO NOT click to make a new partition table.

Select the 20-30GB partition (probably sda1), then click "Change". From there, set "/" as the "mount point" and check the box to format the partition.

Now select the large partition (probably sda2), click "Change". Set mount point as "/home". Click format box.

Don't need to do anything with the swap partition.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that "Device for boot loader installation:" reads -- /dev/sda
That's "sda" with no partition number -- just sda.

Now click "Install Now" to continue and finish installation. You should be up and running after this. Let us know how it goes when you're done.
---------------------------------
It boots up into the (see photo) Bios selection (doesn't look like grub)

i've used Legacy boot and UEFI

I've jumped back into Live, and done a boot-repair. Told me it was clean and ready to boot, but no matter what i do, it will not cooperate

Keeps going to the screenshot no matter what I select.

The only thing left i have left to try is rerun the install using Mint 18 with a different USB stick, but for right now, i am stuck.
(Have installed like 12 different times, using many methods (using one USB stick, Mint 17.2)

Thanks for looking (y)
Last edited by hunkerdunker on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdc_2
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Stubborn Install - Lenovo 110S

Postby pdc_2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm sorry but for me, this post does not read easily;

I am taking it that you want to install Mint to a Lenovo; and the first part of your post is a "copy and paste" of instructions from elsewhere? and then you are saying there are problems booting ... the usb stick?

when you say "i've used Legacy boot and UEFI" ..... you mean have tried two different options at different times ..... and neither worked ........

hunkerdunker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hunkerdunker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:00 pm

PDC,

Sorry for the unuser-friendly post.

Your assumptions are correct

This might be easier to read.

Thanks

hunkerdunker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hunkerdunker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 pm

After over 10 installs, I finally found the solution.

I used Rufus to make a bootable USB, and installed via UEFI/DD option

Reinstalled, worked perfectly.

juraviel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved) Stubborn Install - Lenovo 110S

Postby juraviel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Hunkerdunker, I am going through the exact same problem. I am about ready to pull my hair out and I am sure there are others in the same boat.
Could you be more specific as to how exactly you were able to finally install linux on your Lenovo 110s?
You said you used Rufus to make a bootable USB, and installed via UEFI/DD option.

Would you mind detailing exactly what Rufus settings you used to accomplish your successful install?

Under each selection, what choice did you use?

Rufus 2.16.1170
Device?
Partition scheme and target system type?
File system?
Cluster size
Format options?

Thank you

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rfd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 pm

i just blew away that nasty win10 off a lenovo ideapad 110s and replaced that horrible OS with the best OS around, mint 18.2, here's how ...

turn on the 110s and keep poking the FN F2 key until the system control shows up, tab over to the boot menu and change the boot MODE to Legacy Support, boot priority to UEFI First, USB boot is enabled, PXE boot to LAN is disabled, boot order is set to 1. USB HDD

on a windows OS machine, get the linux mint os of choice as an ISO file, and load in rufus 2.17 (but don't run it yet)

stick in a flash drive of at least 8gig

now run rufus and set it to "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI", "Create bootable disk using - DD image", click on the disk icon to find and select the mint ISO file, hit the START button, select "Write in DD image mode" and hit OK, hit the OK to run, let 'er rip.

use the flash drive to boot up the 110s machine, run mint, install mint.

rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rfd » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:53 am

i've been running mint18 for a few weeks now and the only issue so far appears that 1080p60 videos run extremely choppy and just can't be viewed. this is not the case for a win10 lenovo 110s machine. 720p60 vids are fine for mint. i checked the hardware update and had it install the latestcpu driver from ubuntu, but no go. i can live without 1080p60 vids, but would still like to resolve why they won't run in mint ....

Return to “Installation & Boot”