Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Install issues - an error and no TTY# consoles

Post by RobertLM78 »

Greetings Minters! I just upgraded from Mint 13 to 17.3 recently, and I just want to start by saying how impressed I am with how things have matured and refined. Mint truly is my D.O.C. :D.

Things have been mostly pretty smooth and clean - with a couple of exceptions of me breaking the system with drivers or just making things dirty not having properly cleaned out my home folder - so mostly self-inflicted damaged. There are a couple issues though, starting with what I suspect to be the most trivial:

#1. During the first upgrade after the install, I got the message:

Code: Select all

Processing triggers for gnome-icon-theme (3.10.0-0ubuntu2) ...

(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:25328): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.
Things seem to be running fine, although the install I broke playing games with gpu drivers I had followed the advice of the output, but only after having to install some package (I don't recall the name, something to do with pixbuf if I recall). I'm guessing this is a non-fatal error, since I've had no other problems other than issue #2. (I also checked the md5sum of the iso to make sure that was okay).

#2. This is the most important - and biggest pain in the backside: I get a black screen trying to go to TTY#. I'm rolling with the open source ati driver (which was recommended - and I've been pretty impressed with its performance). I was able to once get to TTY by doing the following:

$  chvt 1
.... grumble.....

#  chvt 2
Success! But only once :-(

Output of

$ ps -e | grep tty
 1114 tty4     00:00:00 getty
 1116 tty5     00:00:00 getty
 1129 tty2     00:00:00 getty
 1130 tty3     00:00:00 getty
 1133 tty6     00:00:00 getty
 1584 tty8     00:08:38 Xorg
 2275 tty1     00:00:00 getty
Edit/Update: Well, this is most curious. I triple boot this machine, Windows 7, and 2 Linux distros - the other distro on the drive was a KDE Mint 13 (my main partition is MATE, btw, I hadn't mentioned that before). Before upgrading the KDE 'play' installation, I tried booting into it, only to be greeted by what looked like Mint 13 KDE with MATE dressings - as I didn't spend any time digging around, I'm not sure if it went ahead and grabbed the /home/ folder partition I use for the MATE desktop. Leaving all that noise as quickly as possible, I went ahead with a fresh install (17.3 KDE) over the old KDE system.....

Here's where it gets interesting. Now I have TTY consoles in MATE (the first upgraded partition) but none in the most recently upgraded (KDE) system.. :lol:
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Mint 17 32-bit (Rebecca), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE

Return to “Installation & Boot”