Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fuzzy561
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Linux Mint 18.1 on Macbook Pro & Macbook

Post by fuzzy561 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 am

Hi guys...I have successfully installed different distros on a MacBook Pro 2,2 dual booting with OSX. The only issue is that the system shuts down on battery power for no apparent reason. On power it is fine. The method I believe is the same for any 64 bit MBP with a 32 bit EFI.

The method is as follows: In OSX partition the HD so that your Mac partition is reduced in size and install the ReFind bootloader. Download your preferred 64 bit distro and modify it as per the instructions here:

https://mattgadient.com/2016/07/11/linu ... 06-models/

There are some distros available for download that have already been modified from the same location (thanks Matt) but I have successfully modified others. Burn the ISO to a DVD as a USB stick will not work. Insert the dvd and launch the DVD from the ReFind boot menu.
Follow the install instructions and the installer will partition the HD and ask if you want to keep the OSX partition.

If anybody needs help just reply and I will assist if I am able.

bunzrunz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bunzrunz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Hey just wanted to chime in, now I still have tons to learn in regard to Linux, however I will never let that stop me from trying to get my Macbook Pro 8,2 to do what seems impossible at times. For whatever reason, that of which I've yet to find answers for, I have had my best INITIAL Linux install with my main beezy Rebecca...Linux Mint 17.2
After the 17.2 install I was almost able to install any flavor I wanted and for testing reasons I had 5 distros + OSX...which came to a screeching halt when I felt adventurous one afternoon and decided I was going to finish it all with that W word OS, lets just say it didn't work out so well and I quickly learned that next time to make sure the 'W' is the first to go on but let me not get too carried away.
I just wanted to suggest trying 17.2 and try following up with other installs, AFTER you get it up, running, and for the most part dialed in. One hiccup is that it did reboot after installing in which I Rebooted; Held Option; Booted OSX; and issued the Bless command so I could tell it to boot to Refind and went from there.
Rebecca has that milkshake that bring ALL the boys to the yard. I could show you, but....

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 pm

In a couple of months I am going to get a MacBook Pro from Mac of All Trades to use as my new Linux machine. I am thinking of a 2012/2013 15" MacBook Pro with 16 gb of ram and a 512 gb ssd. They have one for $1299. If I read everything here correctly, I just make a mint boot usb via Rufus, and then insert it and boot with alt held down and I should have no issues loading Mint 18.2 in place of OS X. I like the build quality of the MacBooks over some of the windows machines. I just need a new Linux machine.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 pm

You should be good to go, there doesnt to be any particular problem.
When you have the exact model, go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... okpro.html and find what's the codename for this product (probably MacBookPro9,1 or 10,1), then make a google search of it, like just "linux codename". For the 9,1 and 10,1, from a quick search install seems to work nicely. The only problems you might run into, are appearance of applications with the high resolution of the retina display, and more importantly the wifi driver. For the latter you might need to connect via cable (direct ethernet, or with an ethernet-to-USB adapter if there is no ethernet port) to install the driver, or otherwise download the driver with another machine.

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I have a 12,1 mac, so there should not be any issues.

Pinokkio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pinokkio » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:18 am

Thanks for all the tips especially "fabien85" for patience and extensive help .
I finally decided not to go for a dual boot , since the Macbook is "obsolete" anyway .
From the Mac install DVD I did a complete format of the HDD to fat 32 , then from the Mint Live DVD I did the install .
Note : Had difficulties installing from USB , so did connect from Firewire , all went smooth from there .
Only hiccup , I installed a higher kernel version , which gave a lot of trouble .So had to turn that back .
These are the specs of my old machine , which is running now very smooth and fast :

Host: : 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: Apple (portable) product: MacBook4 1 v: 1.0
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F22788A9 v: PVT
Bios: Apple v: MB41.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091535 date: 02/09/08
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T8100 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8379
clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)

Hope this helps someone to resurect his old Mac . ( very good for environment )
Cheers !

Return to “Installation & Boot”