Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
babyblues409
Level 1
Level 1

error: attempt to read or write outside of "hd0" **SOLVED**

Post by babyblues409 »

Dell Latitude D600 had a dual boot with WinXP and Mint Cinnamon Serena 18.1 running fine on a very small drive. Using DD, I cloned the drive to a 250GB drive which was then running fine as before. I decided to get rid of XP and use all of the drive for Mint 18.1 by doing a clean install. I did the install using the entire drive as I always have in the past with PAE Forced which is needed on this system.

The same thing happens installing version 18.0 which also used to run fine on this system. I have installed 18.0 and 18.1 repeatedly to try to get the system running again.

Everything installs just fine but when I boot the system I get:

error: attempt to read or write outside of "hd0"
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

SO, how do I get the system to boot? HELP
Last edited by babyblues409 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of "hd0"

Post by austin.texas »

The first suspicion with that error is a I/O problem with one of the drives. Double check the cable connections. One of the cables could be faulty.
Is the 250GB drive an old drive? You might have to run a smart test on that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
babyblues409
Level 1
Level 1

Post by babyblues409 »

New Western Digital drive, was working fine before the reinstall. Using 32bit Mint. It's the internal drive in the laptop and the only drive on the system. Just ran smart test and it's OK.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

On rare occasions, (particularly with flash drives), it helps to completely wipe clean the first sectors, so that the new partition table and the rest of the info (grub) in the MBR has a nice, clean home. Assuming the drive is /dev/sda - wipe the MBR with the command:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1
Then use Gparted to create a new partition table (Device menu > New partition table > msdos)
Then try your installation again.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
babyblues409
Level 1
Level 1

Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of "hd0" *SOLVED**

Post by babyblues409 »

Well it's been a long road. I did your suggested fixes 2 or 3 times and finally got Grub to load but when I picked the option to start Linux it would error off like before. The drive was acting very strange. I pulled the drive and hooked it up to up my Windows 7 system and cleared it with Acronis and then even cloned my windows 7 drive onto it. All of that completed with out a hitch.
After that I found out that my windows 7 system wouldn't even recognize the drive and Mint wasn't either.

So you were right with your first response.....the new drive was bad. I refused to believe it since I had been running that very drive, which was new, and only was reinstalling a fresh copy of Mint to get rid of the dual boot with windows XP.

Anyway, I replaced the drive and installed Mint with out any problem!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”