Mint 18 Live CD - Input not supported

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 18 Live CD - Input not supported

Post by Wheelspin »

So, I had an older Nvidia card running on Linux Mint 17. I added a Mint 18 partition on a second partition and it worked fine. I then upgraded my graphics to an Nvidia 1060 and it was all still good under Mint 18.

I now want to put a fresh Mint 18 on the primary SSD partition to replace Mint 17. However, I can't boot the live cd. On a normal run it just black screens and never recovers.

Using compatibility mode it gets all the way through the boot sequence to the text mode login prompt, then it tries to switch to gfx mode and the monitor displays "Input not supported. Please make use 1920x1200@60" I have a pair of Dell U2412M monitors connected using DisplayPort.

I've tried grub_gfxmode to resolve this but that didn't work.
I've also tried a variety of other distros' live cds and they all seem to have the same issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Mint 18 Live CD - Input not supported

Post by michael louwe »

@ Wheelspin

Most likely, the April 2016 Live Linux Mint 18 does not have driver support for the newer Nov 2016 Nvidia GTX 1060 video-graphics-card. You should try the newer Live LM 18.1. Or use the older Nvidia vgc with Live LM 18 - once LM 18 has been successfully installed, upgrade to Nvidia 1060.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

To clarify, I am using 18.1
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Wheelspin

Please refer to ....... viewtopic.php?t=240057

viewtopic.php?t=226145
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

michael louwe wrote:@ Wheelspin

Please refer to ....... viewtopic.php?t=240057

viewtopic.php?t=226145
Thanks Michael but I have seen both of those threads. However, they relate to failures to boot an installed system. The only place it mentions the live cd failing to boot, the problem was solve with nomodeset. This is specifically not helping with getting my live cd to boot.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Wheelspin

Please refer to the fix at ....... viewtopic.php?t=122257
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

michael louwe wrote:@ Wheelspin

Please refer to the fix at ....... viewtopic.php?t=122257
LOL, that thread is the reason I'm here:
If you followed these steps, but you are still unable to boot successfully, please make a new topic for that and ask for help.
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

None of solutions have worked for me so I bit the bullet, reinstalled my old gpu, installed Mint, installed the nvidia drivers and then re-installed to new gpu.

All seems good so far. It's a somewhat unfortunate state of affairs though.

Given Mint happy to offer other proprietry software for the user to choose, why are latest stable nvidia drivers not included in the installer?
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

You've got to be kidding me. Nearly a year later and the latest iso still has these issues. Mint are really dropping the ball with this. All of the solutions given are ridiculously complicated and shouldn't even be necessary.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

Wheelspin wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm You've got to be kidding me. Nearly a year later and the latest iso still has these issues. Mint are really dropping the ball with this. All of the solutions given are ridiculously complicated and shouldn't even be necessary.
I have used the liveUSB for 18.2 and 18.3 from each DE and had no trouble booting in my laptop with the GTX 1060, and each install went fine. Just my 2 cents.
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
Wheelspin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wheelspin »

Sgthawker wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:18 am I have used the liveUSB for 18.2 and 18.3 from each DE and had no trouble booting in my laptop with the GTX 1060, and each install went fine. Just my 2 cents.
ok, interesting. I just re-tried with a freshly downloaded copy, also using a USB key and I still get the same issue. If I replace my GTX 1060 with an older NVidia card that I have then it boots fine.

This implies that the GPU is only part of the problem. What can I do to provide additional info or run tests to help narrow this down?

Return to “Installation & Boot”