Grub failed to install to /target/

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erlebnisgarnele

Grub failed to install to /target/

Post by erlebnisgarnele »

Hello,

I have been trying to do a reinstall of Mint 18.1 XFCE on my Acer Aspire V3-371 laptop. However, the live USB installer crashes every time stating that Grub could not be installed at /target/.

Following Laurent85's advice on this thread, I ran

Code: Select all

boot-info
which produced the following output.

http://paste2.org/K5Kh1JOV

As you can see, I seem to have a different problem than the original poster.
Can someone help me out?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Grub failed to install to /target/

Post by xenopeek »

Did you have a working network connection during the installation? Try disabling the network connections before starting the installer. There is an issue affection some users that if they have a network connection during the installation, it can't install GRUB successfully.
erlebnisgarnele

Post by erlebnisgarnele »

Thank you very much! Its seems to be working! It took some time to convince my firmware to actually call GRUB on startup, but its allright now.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For anybody else finding this topic, for both Linux Mint 18 and 18.1 this issue should be solved now. The workaround to disable your Internet connection is no longer needed. You do not need a new ISO.

Return to “Installation & Boot”