Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alan Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

ACPI PCC probe failed

Post by Alan Reynolds »

I have recently moved my computer, Linux Mint 17, to another room. The grub menu appears but when LINUX live is selected the prompt ACPI PCC probe failed appears followed by some info about BusyBox saying "enter help for built in commands". Finally the prompt INITRAMFS appears. I have tried reading the advice given on this topic but it may as well be in Hungarian . I have tried booting up the OS from the disc but with the same result.
Any advice would be appreciated
theaterghost
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ACPI PCC probe failed

Post by theaterghost »

The initramfs prompt means the system cannot find or mount the root partition that is indicated in the grub menu (or 'init' is missing). But it did find the kernel and initrd. Do you have a separate /boot partition? Also I have seen "ACPI PCC probe failed" in some older kernels. This was a harmless message at too high a priority. I haven't seen it for a while with the lastest kernels. The first thing to try is editing the vmlinux command line in grub by typing 'e' at the grub menu and deleting the words 'quiet' and 'splash'. The type CTRL-X to see what happens.
A live CD might be able to repair the root filesystem.
Alan Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alan Reynolds »

Thanks for that but still no joy. When I boot up from the original installation disc the same prompts appear.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

Do you have multiple disc drives? Perhaps a data or power cable came loose in the move? Maybe even RAM or the CPU have dislodged. Checking all connections seems appropriate as the issue occurred in accordance with the move.
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe

Return to “Installation & Boot”