Lenovo Ideapad 710S-13IKB 18.1 crashes on grub2 installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uzzee

Lenovo Ideapad 710S-13IKB 18.1 crashes on grub2 installation

Post by uzzee »

HI!

Just this week I got a new Ideapad 710S-13IKB and decided to put Serena on it (the same installation media I had for my hp 840 which worked fine by the way).

When booting to the live usb the m.2 ssd didnt show up. Turns out I was missing a BIOS update which I got from Lenovo's support forum https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yog ... -p/3466850. After setting the boot mode from RAID to AHCI the disk finally showed, and I started the installation.

However, right about the time when the installer was in progress of installing the grub2 package, the installer crashed.

If you want to see any logs please point me to where I can find them and I will put them here!

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uzzee

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 710S-13IKB 18.1 crashes on grub2 installation

Post by uzzee »

UPDATE:

I successfully installed Ubuntu 14.04 on the machine with the same settings (all standard).

After this I tried Mint 18.1 again, but still no luck.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

Sometimes it looks as though it crashed, but actually didn't. If it won't boot up, it might be just a Grub problem which can be fixed with boot repair

Check your BIOS settings too and ensure "fast boot" is turned off, or whatever it is called on your laptop. Hope you get it sorted.
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

Then there's the bug that's apparently resurfaced after being fixed for awhile. With efi installations, installation crashes on grub installation when connected to the internet. Solution is to do the installation without internet connection.

Return to “Installation & Boot”