Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mattfaria12
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint on USB

Post by mattfaria12 »

How can i put Linux Mint Boot on USB and install mint to the HD??
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint on USB

Post by Tomgin5 »

mattfariia415. Please browse here and hit on the instructions on "Making a live LM boot from windows."
Essentially go to "Linux Mint.com" and download the version of OS you want. Myself it is Linux mint 17.3 through 18.1 "Cinnamon 64" (3 different installs).
Follow the instructions on making the disk, or making the "Live" USB drive. To the letter!
Next, put the USB or DVD into the target computer and intercept the boot sequence in the bios or UEFI, and follow the appropriate instructions posted here in the Forums.
ithinktfiam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ithinktfiam »

Tom, you seem to miss the point Matt asked, and I have the same question. My ancient Thinkpad latop has reached XP end-of-life, so I'm interested in installing Mint from my USB drive.

The downloaded iso forces you to create a CD for the actual install, it doesn't install directly from the USB drive. That's an extra step and I'd have to buy a CD, which just aren't used anymore and shouldn't be needed.

Is there a way to get a download that will allow us to install directly from the flash drive to the hard drive, without needing to burn a CD?
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

ithinktfiam wrote:Tom, you seem to miss the point Matt asked, and I have the same question. My ancient Thinkpad latop has reached XP end-of-life, so I'm interested in installing Mint from my USB drive.

The downloaded iso forces you to create a CD for the actual install, it doesn't install directly from the USB drive. That's an extra step and I'd have to buy a CD, which just aren't used anymore and shouldn't be needed.

Is there a way to get a download that will allow us to install directly from the flash drive to the hard drive, without needing to burn a CD?
The downloaded iso forces you to create a CD
The downloads can be installed on a usb flash device for booting and installing Mint.
If you are using Windows then you will need to download a utility to do this. 'Rufus' is one such utility.
Another is 'Linux Live USB Creator' which has a simpler interface. Look at it here:
http://www.freewarefiles.com/LiLi-USB-C ... 56973.html
Once you have the usb utility and the downloaded Mint .iso (hopefully downloaded directly from linuxmint.com)
you will be all set. You will need to make sure your computer's bios is set to allow the usb device to be at the top of the boot order.
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

What all41 said ^^. You can put the .iso on a DVD if you like, or you can write the image to a USB stick drive, not copy it. When it is created it is bootable and will allow linux to install to the machine in question "IF" it can boot from a USB device via your BIOS/UEFI depending on your hardware. There are many tutorials on that here on the forums. Find the one that matches your needs such as:

Single OS,

Dualboot with Windows or other linuces,

and have fun learning about the wonderful OS that is Linux Mint!
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Yes.
The point is that the Mint .iso is a hybrid .iso.
That just means it cannot be 'copied as is' to either dvd or flash and be bootable.
This is where those utilities come into play. They unpack the information contained in the hybrid .iso container
and write each of those individual files to the dvd or flash device in the correct sequence, and also create a
master boot record of where everything is. That is why using the correct utility is so important.
Most Linux distros including Mint will have these utilities aboard.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Sorry gents and or ladies. I was on an XP when I did it the first time. With an AMDX2 computer, I burnt a copy to a DVD then a 4 GIG USB via copy and paste. I didn't know it could not be done!. Must have been a bad install of Windex. :mrgreen:
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Tomgin5 wrote:Sorry gents and or ladies. I was on an XP when I did it the first time. With an AMDX2 computer, I burnt a copy to a DVD then a 4 GIG USB via copy and paste. I didn't know it could not be done!. Must have been a bad install of Windex. :mrgreen:
The thing is if you 'copy' the .iso to a dvd/usb as a data file the destination device will contain a single file named something.iso.
If you write the same file "as an image" the files get extracted to the destination. This screenshot shows the files from a usb device that was properly written:
iso scrot.png
See--the files were extracted to the destination (in this case a thumb stick). If this .iso had been just copied the thumbstick would only contain one file--named LMDE2 MATE 64bit.iso
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Tomgin5 said:
Sorry gents and or ladies. I was on an XP when I did it the first time. With an AMDX2 computer, I burnt a copy to a DVD then a 4 GIG USB via copy and paste. I didn't know it could not be done!. Must have been a bad install of Windex. :mrgreen:
You could do this in the earlier years before the mints became hybrids with or without windex :wink: :)
ithinktfiam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ithinktfiam »

all41 wrote:
ithinktfiam wrote:Tom, you seem to miss the point Matt asked, and I have the same question. My ancient Thinkpad latop has reached XP end-of-life, so I'm interested in installing Mint from my USB drive.

The downloaded iso forces you to create a CD
The downloads can be installed on a usb flash device for booting and installing Mint.
If you are using Windows then you will need to download a utility to do this. 'Rufus' is one such utility.
Another is 'Linux Live USB Creator' which has a simpler interface. Look at it here:
http://www.freewarefiles.com/LiLi-USB-C ... 56973.html
Once you have the usb utility and the downloaded Mint .iso (hopefully downloaded directly from linuxmint.com)
you will be all set. You will need to make sure your computer's bios is set to allow the usb device to be at the top of the boot order.
I was just about to post the same url. I was busy yesterday, and before checking here I wandered through some search results. I found the USB creator on another site, but it looks like the same one. It worked smoothly, Linux booted from the flash drive, and I've started the install. Hoping it all goes well.

On a warped tangent, a song's been going through my head since I found the installer: "Everything is bootable, in it's own way..." :)

Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Installation & Boot”