Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Mint 18.1 on Ubuntu 10.04

Post by braziers »

Hi all,

I am an administrator for a non-profit which operates on Ubuntu and Linux machines. I used to use Linux all the time, before 2007, then I switched to mac. Just letting you know, I'm not a 100% noob but it has been quite a long time.

We have a Dell Optiplex GX260 (Bios A00) running Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit). The machine itself is in decent order, so even though it doesn't have a DVD drive I would like to refurbish it, operating system-wise, to the best of my ability (and we're not made of money).

I've been trying to install Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon on this machine since the weekend, which is quite a jump from Ubuntu 10.04, but I keep running into problems. Even upgrading the Bios from A00 to A09 has thus far failed, and without doing so I cannot use a bootable USB. I made a bootable CD but that failed, and a bootable floppy which - too - failed. It's possible, however, that not having used Unix systems in so long that I made a mistake.

Of course I tried installing Wine to run the exe inside Ubuntu but 10.04 hasn't been supported in so long, and I need to have nautilus to install it even from the source code - and nautilus isn't supported via the Software Centre in Ubuntu 10.04... it goes on.

I had problems with the Update Manager too, which was failing to pull from archive repositories, and all the #s in the world (in the sources list) couldn't solve it.

I think I need to go back to the beginning, with someone more knowledgeable and confident than I who is prepared to take me through the steps? Then I will make proper notes and upload errors as I come across them. I've honestly forgotten all the steps I have taken over the past few days it has been quite a headache!

Any wonderful, willing takers? Help me to install Mint on a Ubuntu 10.04 machine? There has to be a way, surely!

Thank you ;-P

- Braziers
Last edited by braziers on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing Mint 18.1 on Ubuntu 10.04

Post by Pierre »

does it have an CD drive - - rather than a DvD drive?
most modern Linux systems, now come as a DvD sized ISO .. .

also, since it's rather old, you may be better off using a lightweight Linux:
http://antix.mepis.org/
this Linux system works best on older PCs

what is the boot order of the PCs BIOS ?
and is there a direct way of selecting the boot - - F12 or similar?
- as some of those earlier PCs couldn't boot from CD disk, but only from a floppy.

you would have had issue with the Ubuntu 10.04 as it's repository has expired,
as indicated by the Update Failure.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for picking up the gauntlet!

CD only, yes.

The reason I was interested in Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 is because our other machines (Lenovo ThinkCentre/Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge) run that operating system. I'd quite like there to be uniformity, wherever possible, unless you really think not?

Boot order of the A00 Bios:

1. Normal
2. Diskette Drive
3. Hard-Disk Drive C:
4. IDE CD-ROM Drive

5. System Setup
6. IDE Drive Diagnostics
7. Boot to Utility Partition

Yes, F12 is working fine.

I am aware the 10.04 repository expired. Unfortunately this organisation has not had anyone looking after their computer systems for some time, and I only very recently joined the team and am trying to refurbish the machines that seem viable. This one, though on Ubuntu 10.04, is still quite a quick machine so I'd very much like to see it running something better!

Thanks very much,
- Braziers

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

what is the RAM / memory? - - ~1Gb or so ?.

have you got access to a small collection of blank CDs ?
- even if you have to buy a Five Pack of 'em.

how did you create that CD that didn't work?
- did it boot ok - - were there any boot errors?.
you did check the ISO checksum - - didn't you ??.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

RAM - 1GB

Yes I have writeable CDs.

To create the bootable CD-ROM (that failed), I used Nero and downloaded an img from here http://bay-wolf.com/bootcd-bios.htm along with Dell driver GX260A09.exe - I made a compilation Boot disc. There were boot errors, yes. It failed after stalling at:

Code: Select all

A:\>PROMPT A:\;
A:\>PATH A:\;
A:\>
I actually tried to update the BIOS first from A00 to A09 and that failed because only a USB is going to have the capacity to store an OS installation file (as in, CDs are too small). There was no option to ISO checksum using this process - but I didn't select "Verify written data" in Nero, no.

I was hoping to upgrade the BIOS and using A09 then make a bootable USB for Linux and take it from there...

Thanks, Braziers :)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Cinnamon might be a bit too much for that machine. I would try Mint 18.1 Mate instead.
If you don't have a DVD drive, only CD, and you can't boot from a USB drive, there is a work-around you can use. Download the SuperGrub2 CD .iso and burn that to a CD. If you can successfully boot that, you are in business. You then copy your Mint .iso file to a USB drive, in a folder named boot-isos. SuperGrub2 has the capability to boot that Mint .iso so that you can install to the hard drive.
For the details:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org
Download the .iso and burn it to a CD
Connect a usb flash drive with fat32 format, and make a folder named boot-isos. The exact name boot-isos is important.
Copy the Mint .iso file that you downloaded into the boot-isos folder on the flash drive.
Boot the computer with the SuperGrub2 CD.
Chose "Boot Manually" from the first menu, then ""Bootable iso's".
The program will search all of your drives, looking for any boot-isos folder. It will find the Mint .iso file on the flash drive, and create a menu which will allow you to boot the .iso, just like booting a DVD.
It is a slow process to search your drives and build that menu, so be patient.

Tutorial and Troubleshooting with SuperGRUB2:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SuperGRUB2Disk
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Boot_Problems
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:Connect a usb flash drive with fat32 format, and make a folder named boot-isos. The exact name boot-isos is important.
Copy the Mint .iso file that you downloaded into the boot-isos folder on the flash drive.
Boot the computer with the SuperGrub2 CD.
Chose "Boot Manually" from the first menu, then ""Bootable iso's".
The program will search all of your drives, looking for any boot-isos folder. It will find the Mint .iso file on the flash drive, and create a menu which will allow you to boot the .iso, just like booting a DVD.
Thank you for this, and apologies for such a tardy response to this thread.
Super Grub is working fine, however it is not finding my USB. I followed your instructions perfectly.
Can you help?

Thanks!

PS - I had a look at http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/USB_Boot but I could see no "Boot & Tools" option.
Last edited by braziers on Tue May 16, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Using your installed Ubuntu, what is the result of

mount
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

Result of mount (see /dev/sdb1):

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/admin/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=admin)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/Cruzer 4GB type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1003,gid=0,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

Hi!

I've just found this, which looks promising: http://supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto ... b_Disk_USB.

Trouble is I can't find the right USB tar to download! But hopefully this is the right track??

Thanks...

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Your USB drive is not showing in that result. Did you have it plugged in?
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:Your USB drive is not showing in that result. Did you have it plugged in?
Hi. Yes it is.

/dev/sdb1 on /media/Cruzer 4GB type vfat 
It's called "Cruzer 4GB".

Thanks!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

OK, Thanks.
What is the result of

ls /media/"Cruzer 4GB"
and

ls /media/"Cruzer 4GB"/boot-isos
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:OK, Thanks.
What is the result of

ls /media/"Cruzer 4GB"
and

ls /media/"Cruzer 4GB"/boot-isos

boot-isos

linuxmint-18.1-mate-32bit.iso
Thanks!

[Edit] I thought there might be something in this... https://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make#Gnome
But I don't know what they want me to untar?

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

braziers wrote:[Edit] I thought there might be something in this... https://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make#Gnome
But I don't know what they want me to untar?
OK, well I have copied the boot folder into the usb and replaced boot-isos inside it. However I could not sync as

apt-get install grub
will not work on Ubuntu as repositories are too old and no longer supported.

Grub still does not recognise my usb, even with the untar boot folder being used now...

Please help!!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

braziers wrote:
braziers wrote: I thought there might be something in this... https://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make#Gnome
That link tells you how to make a SuperGrub2 USB, but you have already made a SuperGrub2 CD, right?
When you boot the SuperGrub2 CD, do you see this menu?
If so, chose "Boot manually", then "Bootable iso's". It should find your Mint .iso on the flash drive, if it is in the boot-isos folder
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:
braziers wrote:
braziers wrote: I thought there might be something in this... https://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SGD_Howto_make#Gnome
That link tells you how to make a SuperGrub2 USB, but you have already made a SuperGrub2 CD, right?
When you boot the SuperGrub2 CD, do you see this menu?
If so, chose "Boot manually", then "Bootable iso's". It should find your Mint .iso on the flash drive, if it is in the boot-isos folder
Yes, I have a Super Grub2 CD and, yes, I see that menu and, yes, I chose those options - but it doesn't detect my usb.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

That is unfortunate, and unusual. I have done it countless times with various flash drives and various computers. Perhaps it is just that old BIOS that is the problem.
The next thing I would try, since you can't make a bootable USB, is to boot the SuperGrub2 CD, and try the same as before - except this time create the /boot-isos folder on one of the partitions on the hard drive - not the USB drive. (and place your Mint .iso file in that folder, of course)
I might be able to help more if you post the result of

sudo parted --list
- or at least give me some idea of the partitions you have on the hard drive.
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

Results as follows:

Model: ATA ST320011A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 20.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  19.1GB  19.1GB  primary   ext4            boot
 2      19.1GB  20.0GB  880MB   extended
 5      19.1GB  20.0GB  880MB   logical   linux-swap(v1)

Model: SanDisk Cruzer (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4052MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  4050MB  4049MB  primary  fat32
Do you think I should try to upgrade the bios? I guess I would make a disc from one of these: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... rId=R89214

Thank you for all your help. It is very much appreciated!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Wow... I was hoping to see more than 20GB on that drive. That is pretty limiting.
There may be a way... How much RAM does that machine have?
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”