Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing Mint 18.1 on Ubuntu 10.04

Post by kukamuumuka »

austin.texas wrote:Wow... I was hoping to see more than 20GB on that drive. That is pretty limiting.
There may be a way... How much RAM does that machine have?
I have one Dell Optiplex GX260 for a security camera. It is too weak for desktop-use with modern Mint. :wink:

Dell OptiPlex GX260 PDF -> https://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8AJWkNX4vQ

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Good information from administrollaattori ... Thanks.
That appears to be the answer.
Try Peppermint 7 :arrow: https://peppermintos.com/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but you can burn Plop Boot Manager to a CD (or Floppy), boot from that and it will then give you the ability to boot a live USB for installing Mint. Cinnamon is definitely too much for that system and will not work. I'd recommend trying 32-bit versions of the Mint Xfce desktop -- either 17.3 or 18.1. If both work, install the latest one -- 18.1.

Link to full description of Plop Boot Manager.

Link to directions for creating bootable CD/Floppy. (Note: you can create the bootable CD using whatever program you are used to -- don't have to use commands shown on page. Just make sure you burn the ISO file as an "image", not as regular "data".)

P.s. If neither Mint Xfce, nor Peppermint (austin.texas' recommendation) work, try AntiX -- it's a nice lightweight distro that should be fine on that computer.

P.s.s. I used to have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and Plop worked to boot USBs on it.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

Hi everyone,

So I put linuxmint-18.1-xfce-32bit on a different usb and tried to boot using Super Grub2 but it did not detect that either. I haven't tried Plop Boot Manager yet, however, so I guess I can burn a disc for that too. Do you think Super Grub is not detecting simply because these operating systems are not supported?

I think, at this point, it would be good to try booting from a partition on the hard drive? How do I do that?

Thank you everyone for your help and patience. :)

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

braziers wrote:Hi everyone,

So I put linuxmint-18.1-xfce-32bit on a different usb and tried to boot using Super Grub2 but it did not detect that either. I haven't tried Plop Boot Manager yet, however, so I guess I can burn a disc for that too. Do you think Super Grub is not detecting simply because these operating systems are not supported?

I think, at this point, it would be good to try booting from a partition on the hard drive? How do I do that?

Thank you everyone for your help and patience. :)
You can use Unetbootin as select installation type "Hard Drive"
https://askubuntu.com/questions/702721/ ... unetbootin

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

braziers wrote:So I put linuxmint-18.1-xfce-32bit on a different usb and tried to boot using Super Grub2 but it did not detect that either.
Did you have the Mint .iso file in a folder named /boot-isos ?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:
braziers wrote:So I put linuxmint-18.1-xfce-32bit on a different usb and tried to boot using Super Grub2 but it did not detect that either.
Did you have the Mint .iso file in a folder named /boot-isos ?
Yes. :) I will try Unetbootin now.

Fingers crossed...

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

And now I am coming to realise that Unetbootin was not already installed and that I cannot access it via the Software Manager because the package repositories no longer exist...
*with a mild look of despair*

- braziers

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

To try something else...
Connect your flash drive with the /boot-isos folder containing the Mint .iso
Boot the hard drive until you see the Grub menu.
With the Grub menu displayed, press "c" (for "command line"). You will see the Grub prompt, which looks like this grub>
Enter these commands: (press ENTER after each one)
First line:
set isofile=/boot-isos/linuxmint-18.1-xfce-dvd-32bit.iso
(check the spelling on the name of the .iso file to see if that is the correct name)
TIP: To make sure that you are entering the correct name, enter the first part of the line - set isofile=/boot-isos/linu - and then press the TAB key for auto-completion of the filename. (Also, doing that means less typing! TAB completion does not always work - YMMV.)
Second line:
loopback loop (hd0,msdos1)$isofile
Third line:
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
Forth line:
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
Fifth line:
boot
Linux Linx 2018

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

braziers wrote:And now I am coming to realise that Unetbootin was not already installed and that I cannot access it via the Software Manager because the package repositories no longer exist...
*with a mild look of despair*

- braziers
You can use EOL Upgrade for installing Unetbootin.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:Boot the hard drive until you see the Grub menu.
I'm not entirely sure about what you mean here. Isn't it one or the other? (Boot off the hard drive, or boot off grub disc).

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:Enter these commands: (press ENTER after each one)
First line:
set isofile=/boot-isos/linuxmint-18.1-xfce-dvd-32bit.iso
(check the spelling on the name of the .iso file to see if that is the correct name)
TIP: To make sure that you are entering the correct name, enter the first part of the line - set isofile=/boot-isos/linu - and then press the TAB key for auto-completion of the filename. (Also, doing that means less typing! TAB completion does not always work - YMMV.)
Second line:
loopback loop (hd0,msdos1)$isofile]
I presumed you meant to boot off the grub disc so that is what I did...
TAB completion did not work.
Then after second line I got...

Code: Select all

error: file 'linuxmint-18.1-xfce-dvd-32bit.iso' not found
Should be fine, it is named correctly as per my usb.

What on earth is going on, do you reckon? :-S

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

braziers wrote:
austin.texas wrote:Boot the hard drive until you see the Grub menu.
I'm not entirely sure about what you mean here. Isn't it one or the other? (Boot off the hard drive, or boot off grub disc).
It means that I want you to use the Grub menu on the hard drive. Do not boot the DVD or USB. Boot the hard drive - not anything else - until you see the Grub menu, then press "c"
Linux Linx 2018

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:Boot the hard drive - not anything else - until you see the Grub menu
What do you mean by that? I just had the disc in my computer and restarted - it goes immediately to grub after it loads dell bios but I suspect that is just the boot order that I have got going. I haven't installed grub into my OS or anything... sorry I am not understanding you...

braziers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by braziers »

austin.texas wrote:set isofile=/boot-isos/linuxmint-18.1-xfce-dvd-32bit.iso
Out of interest, if grub doesn't even detect my usb then how is it going to find this file via this method?

Is there not a way I can partition the hard drive or something (via ubuntu) and access the ISO afterwards, through grub?

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

braziers wrote:
austin.texas wrote:set isofile=/boot-isos/linuxmint-18.1-xfce-dvd-32bit.iso
Out of interest, if grub doesn't even detect my usb then how is it going to find this file via this method?

Is there not a way I can partition the hard drive or something (via ubuntu) and access the ISO afterwards, through grub?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... t/Examples

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Sorry for the delay in answering, but I was shocked that those instructions did not work, and have spent a very long time trying to discover why not.
braziers wrote:Out of interest, if grub doesn't even detect my usb then how is it going to find this file via this method?
That is exactly the right question, and is the heart of the problem.
I know it used to work that way a couple of years ago - my notes on how to do it are very detailed.
What I have seen today shows that Grub installed to the hard drive does not detect the partitions on the flash drive, as I would expect it to do. I even change the format of the flash drive to FAT32, and created more than one partition, with no change.
Then I flipped it around, and booted a USB hard drive (with the flash drive connected), and the partitions on the flash drive were then recognized, and the boot sequence that I gave you worked fine to boot my Mint xfce .iso
HOWEVER, none of my partitions on my 2 internal SATA drives were detected by the Grub on the USB hard drive. That mystifies me.
braziers wrote:Is there not a way I can partition the hard drive or something (via ubuntu) and access the ISO afterwards, through grub?
Yes, there is. I do that all the time. However, it won't work with your 20GB hard drive, with only 1GB of RAM.

I can see only 2 ways possible for you.
SuperGrub2 should work. I can't imagine why that failed for you.
Next possibility, take the hard drive out and install it in a different computer. Install Mint. Then re-install the hard drive in this computer.
Linux Linx 2018

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Been following this with interest, but I must ask -- have you tried using Plop as I posted here? A Plop CD should give you the ability to boot from the USB stick. I used to have a Dell Optiplex GX260 and am fairly certain that I was able to boot USBs by using Plop CD.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”