[SOLVED] Triple Boot Installation Help Please

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dumfy
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Triple Boot Installation Help Please

Post by Dumfy »

Hi All,
As a complete Linux newbie & pretty new to the forum, wasn't sure if I should post this here or Newbie section. My apologies if it's the wrong one.

I'm determined to get an understanding of Linux Mint, but appear to have failed early! I'm fine with Windows, so wanted to learn Linux. My problem is not knowing how to correctly install Mint 18.1 on a spare partition I have without corrupting my Windows installs.

I have a 320gb HDD split into three partitions - Windows 7, Windows 10 and a third reserved for Mint. Each partition is approx 100gb. I use this HDD solely for the OS's as I have another HDD where I keep all my data and drive images. I've searched for info and followed some setups, but I'm stuck at trying to get Mint to install on the third (last) partition on the HDD.

I've burned & run the Mint ISO and clicked on install. Where I'm unsure is the Installation Type screen. Everything I've read says to choose the "Something Else" option. When doing this, the following screen displays Windows 10 and Boot (SDA 1), Windows 7 isn't identified (SDA 2) and SDA 3 is unknown. The partition is NTFS and I've tried it as both primary and logical.

If I select "Install Mint alongside Windows Boot Manager" option, it shows this will work, but take up the spare space on the Windows 7 install and then use the SDA 3 partition.

How do install Mint to that third partition without corrupting either Windows install? I've imaged the whole drive in case anything goes pear shaped.

Sorry if my post is somewhat convoluted - if more info is needed, please post back.

With thanks & kind regards

Dumfy :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Triple Boot Installation Help Please

Post by Pierre »

that 'something else' option is definitely the right one, to use.

but what you need to work out, is what that vacant partition,
is called under a Linux System.

to do this, have a look on the running Live environment,
- probably under Administration, for Gparted.

it's the same partitioner that the Installer also uses,
& paste a screen_shot of what it shows - - back here.

you will also need to use Gparted to create 2 - - 3 extra partitions,
for any Linux installation:
- / root
- /swap.
- /home -- if you want a separate home, that is.

also2: what version of LinuxMint have you obtained?.

Do Read this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x but does apply to win-10 as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Dumfy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dumfy »

Thanks for the reply Pierre,

The Linux Mint version is 18.1 64bit Cinnamon

I've copied two images below. One is what's shown on the Installation Type screen and the other is what GParted displays. This looks slightly different to what it did in my previous post. I may have done something while trying things. Somehow, there's now a 1mb space on the Windows 7 partition. That was probably me trying to create a Swap? Sorry for the images being a little poor as I had to take them on my phone. Also, the Windows 7 partition wasn't named & recognised yesterday - only considered as used space.

I'll read through the tutorial link which will hopefully help me to create
/root
/swap
/home

A question regarding /home . . .
Can I set /home to be on a separate drive? I have a data drive installed separate from my OS drive and have instructed Windows to use this for docs/music/photos etc. Can Mint be set up to do the same thing? Perhaps I'm trying to run before I can walk!

With thanks & kind regards

Dumfy
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

When you install Mint, or any linux OS, the root partition is a linux format (ext4). You cannot install linux to a NTFS partition. Your linux partitions can be created using the Gparted program, or using the installation program. So delete that NTFS partition.
Yes, /home can be on a different drive, and the swap partition can also be on a different drive.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Lemongrass38

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Yes, you can delete that last ntfs partition.

Then in its place you can create for example

50 GB for the system
40 GB data (another ext4 partition just for data).
10 GB swap

You can also create an ext4 partition on your other drive.
Then you must check what you've set. If it's all okay, you can execute the changes.

Indeed, the "Something else" is the best. Pro choice. :) The one thing that you must pay attention to during the installation is that you choose the 50 GB partition at set it's mount point to / (the system's root, OS will be here), and you must set the other partition on the other drive to have a mount point of /home. Do not touch the Windows partitions. :)
Dumfy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dumfy »

Many thanks for the helpful posts.

I deleted the last partition and booted into the LiveCD and used GParted to create an ext4 partition on it.

I then read the tutorial from the link in the above post. I opened the Terminal to confirm UEFI mode using.. ls /sys/firmware
All that came back was ACPI. Looked into the BIOS & could see no reference anywhere to UEFI. So, back into Windows and System Information confirmed the BIOS Mode is Legacy.

This means I can use that particular tutorial, but what do I need to know or be wary of installing Mint with Legacy BIOS - or is there nothing to worry about? Any links for tutorials for installing Mint to legacy BIOS?

Thanks again

Dumfy
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Dumfy wrote: Any links for tutorials for installing Mint to legacy BIOS?
How to install with manual partitioning - by xenopeek
Install Linux Mint 17 Dual Boot With Windows - (non-UEFI) - itsfoss.com - Excellent Tutorial
How to install with Manual partitioning (dual boot) - Easy Linux Tips Project
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Dumfy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dumfy »

Thank you one and all for the help with this & pointing me in the right direction.

I used the ITFOSS tutorial and now have Mint installed alongside both WIndows 7 & 10.
(Install Linux Mint 17 Dual Boot With Windows - (non-UEFI) - itsfoss.com - Excellent Tutorial)

I'm glad to say all went smoothly and I can boot into each OS via GRUB. In fact, I'm typing this on my freshly installed Mint using Firefox. Happy days!
No doubt, being a Linux novice, I'll be visiting the forum on a regular basis looking for help & advice,

In the meantime, many thanks again.

Dumfy :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”