lm18.1 cinn can't connect to wifi, thus install can't conclude

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

lm18.1 cinn can't connect to wifi, thus install can't conclude

Post by sadhu »

I can connect automatically to the wifi via the office network just fine in LM 17.0 (which is what I'm using now). But the LM 18.1 install (using unetbootin) cannot connect to the wifi. It connected OK prior to the beginning of the installation -- I was able to get to google. com, but midway through the installation the connection failed.

How to force connection?

HP Pavilion 15, 4gb RAM, 750GB HDD, dunno if bios is legacy or 'auto' EUFI mode. (but I was able to install ubuntu 16.10, and SUSE with absolutely no problems.

btw I've been having nothing but trouble trying to get 18.1 installed -- on my desktop and on my notebook. It's installed on the desktop, but somehow it never asks for admin password when running things like 'shutdown' 'xed /etc/crontab'. (see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=242368)

So. How to force 18.1 installation to see he wifi?

-sadhu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: lm18.1 cinn can't connect to wifi, thus install can't conclude

Post by austin.texas »

Install with no wireless connection. That is the way I always do it anyway. Then updates can be installed anytime that is convenient.
If you still have wireless instability after installing, you can post the details. The problem is that many times, the solution requires a reboot, which, of course, is not possible with the live Mint.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

austin.texas wrote:Install with no wireless connection..
Thank you, Austin. Trouble is, I DID install without wireless.

During install, from live boot I am able to connect to the wireless. I can access the internet using Firefox. Midway through the installation the connection fails. And after reboot, although the network indicator shows a connection, google.com is 'server not found'.

I got the same behaviour from Ubuntu 16.04.2 -- connected to 'net during install, then I installed all of my pet programs, then did the initial 500 MB (!) update. After reboot, no connection, although network indicator shows a live signal. This time (in Ubuntu) it gets a connection timeout error for my local wifi. This wifi is the simplest kind, just password, no keys.

I'm running a two year old HP Pavillion 15 notebook, a special model that came without an OS, for sale in India/Sri Lanka. It has a 750GB HDD, with 3 20-GB partitions for OSs, and two larger partitions for data. It's a triple-boot machine that is able to run various flavours of linux; I use the other partitions for testing. Windows I run in a VirtualBox, when I need those special programs that don't have an exact equivalent in Linux.

I'm writing this from partition #8, LM 17.0-64bit. Partitions 1 and 7 are Ubuntu 16.04.2 and LM 18.1. They used to have LM 15 and 17.0-32-bit, but now I have no fallback..

All this leads me to believe the problem lies in the kernel.

-sadhu!
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Post the result of

Code: Select all

lshw -c net; iwconfig
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You can upgrade your kernel. I would also check the proprietary drivers for your wifi card. Check in the driver installer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”