LM 17.3 mate 32 bit, on USB stick - syslinux 4.03 errormessage when boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

LM 17.3 mate 32 bit, on USB stick - syslinux 4.03 errormessage when boot

Post by SprinterDriver »

Hi.

This is a problem i experience on my older computer with AMD2000+ cpu.

Original reason why I do this:
Want to see if the problem about getting access to windows shares in the network also applies to LM 17.3 as well as LM 18.1. The computer currently runs LM 18.1 Mate 32 bit, but I experiences problems getting access to windows shares in same network (separate thread, won't discuss it here now). So If it turns out that LM 17.3 is not affected by those problems - I consider installing 17.3 instead on that machine - that is If I get to the point that I get LM 17.3 to boot.

Therefore I decided to try to run LM 17.3, Mate 32 bit - Live only. So I used Unetbootin and created a bootable usb stick contining LM 17.3. Then, immediately after post, I got this error message:
SYSLINUX 4.03
No configuration file found
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
I have tried to make the bootable usb stick twice. First formatted fat32 with a block size of 1024. Then fat32 with block size 4096. Both alternatives resulted in the same error message on my AMD2000+ computer.

However, I also have a laptop, Dell Latitude D620. Same USB stick, but no problems booting and running.
Another strange thing is that the AMD2000+ computer have no problems booting a USB stick containing LM 18.1 Mate 32 bit. So for me that doesn't give sense.
I can draw the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the usb stick because it seems to boot properly on other computers. I have read elsewhere on some forums that some folders on the usb stick should be renamed, but I don't think that's the case here since it boot on the dell computer.

For me, It almost looks like the AMD2000+ computer is extremely picky to boot devices.

Appreciate any help.

[edit]
Reading this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/329704/ ... tive-found
So next thing to do tomorrow is to try Universal USB installer and see if that makes any difference.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LM 17.3 mate 32 bit, on USB stick - syslinux 4.03 errormessage when boot

Post by fabien85 »

It's known that there are troubles with unetbootin.
From windows use Rufus, from Mint use the builtin mintstick (Menu > Accessories > USB Image Writer) or install usb-creator-gtk (for Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce) or usb-creator-kde (for KDE) which is available through the software manager.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Fails using Rufus too

Post by SprinterDriver »

Have tried Rufus with different parameters, but no change. I always used Fat32 with block size of 4096.
I try anther program ans see if that works any better.

[edit]
Have now tried Universal USB installer and it didn't work this time neither. Now I'm burning a physical DVD to see it it boot that way.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
Jaydemir

Re: LM 17.3 mate 32 bit, on USB stick - syslinux 4.03 errormessage when boot

Post by Jaydemir »

mkusb?

https://calvin.me/create-persistent-ubu ... boots-ram/

The link is about Ubuntu but works perfectly fine for any version of Mint. Doesn't make the live image in the traditional way, and uses EXT4 for Persistent storage on the newest versions of Ubuntu and Mint.

I have a 32 GB USB 3.0 drive running 18.1 KDE with a good 20+ GB persistent storage. The OS itself is on some unknown format but it boots just fine.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

update - boot successfully from DVD

Post by SprinterDriver »

I managed to boot via a physically DVD disk without any problems :D

So I have used 3 different usb-stick-tools to create a bootable usb stick from the LM 17.3 Mate 32 bit iso file. No success whatsoever.

Conclusion: The aged MSI mainboard and the AMD 2000+ CPU is simply unable to boot LM 17.3 Mate from an USB stick, no matter program was used to create that usb stick.
At the same time I know the following facts after trying:
- The same computer setup has no problems booting LM 18.1 Mate 32 bit from USB stick.
- Another Dell laptop boots just fine from the same USB stick as the MSI/AMD2000 failed to boot, so there is nothing wrong with the usb stick itself.

It's weird, but booting from DVD disc is my rescue, so I rest the case :)

[edit]
Answer to Jaydemir: Thank you for your tip. I already have LM 18.1 Mate 32bit installed on the internal hard drive, as for now it isn't that much hassle to enter wifi password every time I boot from dvd.

Return to “Installation & Boot”