Deleted UFI partition on old MacBook - in over my head!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
j_frlan
Level 1
Level 1

Deleted UFI partition on old MacBook - in over my head!

Post by j_frlan »

Hello Mint Forum!

I've been wanting to install Linux on a machine for quite some time and start to learn the system, and I finally replaced and inherited my wife's old 2006 MacBook. I decided on 32bit Mint Cinnamon for an OS. I booted from a live cd, and being the novice that I am, decided to do a custom installation and formatted the entire drive including the UFI partition. When I first booted the laptop up with the newly installed OS, it gave the customary Apple chime, then showed the missing file logo, but somehow booted into Mint anyways. I searched forums to try to determine how to repair the problem, and I ended up creating a new bootable fat32 partition out of my swap and mounted it by editing my /etc/fstab file. Bear in mind I have no idea what I'm doing, and I've gotten as far as I have by reading forums and tutorials...I'm pretty sure I don't understand exactly what I'm editing...ok, so when I went to set the mount point in /etc/fstab I didn't know where to put it so I put /media/user/efi. I realize now that I think I should have put it in /boot/efi. I rebooted and it put me in emergency mode. Decided it was time to talk to someone and help me get out of this mess.

So my end goal aside from fixing the EFI partition would be to get advice for a more appropriate OS for my machine, it seems to be a little slower than I would like it to be with cinnamon, and I know there are a few options. Please help!

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Deleted UFI partition on old MacBook - in over my head!

Post by kukamuumuka »

You need to use 64-bit linux, if you use UEFI-boot. You could try to boot using rEFInd USB for seeing if Mac is alive.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

You can also build EFI-partition using rEFInd.

soky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by soky »

I using rEFInd too on my macbook pro. It is good stuff.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Are these the specifications of your machine (MacBook 2006) : http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html ?

If so, and if you do not want to dual-boot with OSX, you do not want to install in EFI mode, you do not want to have an EFI partition. You want to install simply in Legacy mode :
- backup any important data, we are going to wipe the disk
- boot the live DVD
- open gparted, select the internal hard drive, Device > Create Partition table, choose msdos, Apply.
- launch the installer and select the option "Erase the disk and install linux mint"

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

fabien85 wrote:Are these the specifications of your machine (MacBook 2006) : http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html ?

If so, and if you do not want to dual-boot with OSX, you do not want to install in EFI mode, you do not want to have an EFI partition. You want to install simply in Legacy mode :
- backup any important data, we are going to wipe the disk
- boot the live DVD
- open gparted, select the internal hard drive, Device > Create Partition table, choose msdos, Apply.
- launch the installer and select the option "Erase the disk and install linux mint"
Correct answer from fabien85 and here's why: From what I have read, Macbooks do not have a user-controlled setting in their BIOS to enable or disable Legacy/CSM boot. Instead, their BIOS detects whether the hard disk's partition table is either MBR or GPT, and automatically selects the corresponding boot mode (Legacy/CSM or UEFI) by itself, without needing any user intervention.
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."

Return to “Installation & Boot”