The board will go down for necessary maintenance at 12:00 PM UTC (see current UTC time). We expect to be back 1 hour later at 1:00 PM UTC. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Unable to Boot my computer

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ramneekbhasin
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to Boot my computer

Post by ramneekbhasin »

I have a 2009 MacBook pro with mac os and linux mint in dual boot setup. I use refind to choose which OS to boot into. Everything was fine till I used my computer last time which was about a month ago. I recently wanted to use my computer but Mint wouldn't boot . I have tried all the 'nomodeset' settings etc , recovery mode etc but it gets stuck every time. I boots to a blank screen on normal booting and gets stuck at the screen as attached on recovery mode boot and then the computer becomes unresponsive.
It works fine if I boot it in Mac OS. please help.

MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Unable to Boot my computer

Post by MichaelJohn »

I would try booting from a USB stick in the first instance...

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Go to recovery mode. Does that work ? (you didnt say precisely at which point it gets stuck : before reaching the recovery screen or later when trying to continue the boot)
- If not remove the "quiet splash" kernel options, and note down the last few kernel messages before it gets stuck
- If so, choose entry "enable networking", after a few second it will return to the recovery screen, choose the entry "drop to root shell prompt". You will be asked for the root password (=the password you gave during install). Does that work ?
If so and if you have a graphic card, purge the drivers : apt purge nvidia* then shutdown -h now and reboot.

At worst, boot from a live USB, mount the internal partitions, copy all your data to an external hard drive, reinstall linux and put back your data. If you have your /home on a separate partition, you can reinstall without formatting /home (using the "something else" option) and your data should be intact after reinstall.

MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MichaelJohn »

Just wondering where OP is with this?

Return to “Installation & Boot”