Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gewitty
Level 1
Level 1

Very slow boot - Start PXE over IPv4 - FIXED

Postby gewitty » Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 am

I recently bought a new desktop PC, which came without any OS installed. I loaded Mint Cinnamon 64 bit 18.1, which works just fine once it gets booted up, but the actual boot process is VERY slow because at one point I get a message saying ' Start PXE over IPv4' which stays on screen for a long time before I then see the prompt to enter my decryption password. This text box doesn't respond to the keyboard though and I have to do a CTL/ALT/DEL to boot a second time. This goes through exactly the same long-winded 'Start PXE over IPv4' process, following which I get a different-looking prompt for the decryption password, which works. Only after jumping through all those hoops do I eventually get to my desktop.

In all the installations I've done using Mint over the years, I've never seen this problem before and have no idea what the solution is.

If it's relevant, the new machine has a 250Gb SSD where Mint in installed, plus an internal 1Tb HDD and two external 3Tb USB HDD drives. The processor is an Intel i5-6600. Current kernel is 4.40-53 generic.

If anyone can give me a fix, I'd be very grateful.
Last edited by gewitty on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gewitty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Very slow boot - Start PXE over IPv4 - FIXED

Postby gewitty » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 am

The answer turned out to the boot order of devices in the BIOS settings. Because I had set my DVD drive as the first boot option while installing Mint, the system continued to check for a DVD media presence on every subsequent boot. As soon as I changed the order to make the SSD (where Mint is installed) the primary boot drive, the problem was resolved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”