Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gutknecht
Level 1
Level 1

Windows Boot Manager changing Boot Order

Post by Gutknecht » Mon May 15, 2017 6:24 am

I have an HP Pavillion 23 running windows 10 that I installed LinuxMint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit on beside windows for dual boot configuration using the installer defaults for such installation. It boots into Linux fine directly after installation, however, whenever you boot into Wnidows 10 the OS CHANGES the boot order in UEFI to place the Windows Boot Loader first in the boot order, thus you are unable to boot into LinuxMint without accessing the UEFI to change the boot order. Upon further investigation I also found that when attempting to just change the boot order to "ubuntu" using the F9 key (to change boot order without going into the full UEFI menu) I get an operating system not found error? But going into the full UEFI menu and changing the boot order to place "ubuntu" first it boots find into the grub menu. I have done many searches and this seems to be a common problem and it seems to be either a windows or a manufacturer issue, I assume to prevent the freedom to dual boot into Linux etc. I have seen some solutions with third party Windows software that may correct the problem, but I was wondering if there was a better way. I appreciate any assistance you might provide. Thanks. Rick

Return to “Installation & Boot”