17.2 KDE blank screen (mdm) but sound works

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zalbor

17.2 KDE blank screen (mdm) but sound works

Post by Zalbor »

Hello,

This is on a computer I've not used for almost a year. It's an ASUS N55S, with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M chip.

I turned the computer on after almost a year of not using it. It booted correctly. Then I installed all available updates, and that's when the problem started.

Normally, I'd expect to see the MDM login prompt. This time there's just a blank screen. I can switch to another terminal with Ctrl+Alt+Fx and that works with no issues.

I tried to upgrade the nvidia drivers from the command line, by installing nvidia-375 (which is the highest compatible with my card, according to nvidia.com) and removing the previous version (nvidia-331-updates). I also reconfigured bumblebee to use the new driver, by editing bumblebee.conf.

It didn't work, so I still get a blank screen. I can't think of anything else to check… Any advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: 17.2 KDE blank screen (mdm)

Post by kukamuumuka »

Can you login from tty console?

Code: Select all

startx -- :2
Zalbor

Re: 17.2 KDE blank screen (mdm)

Post by Zalbor »

administrollaattori wrote:Can you login from tty console?

startx -- :2
Thanks for the reply.

I did try to just stop mdm (sudo service mdm stop) and then just "startx" earlier, and that didn't work. I tried your version now and it didn't either, but I noticed something that might be relevant in the output:

…
Loading extension GLX
Loading extension NV-GLX
Loading extension NV-CONTROL
[dix] couldn't enable device 13
As I was typing this, I heard my login sound play, but I can't find any terminal that shows a desktop. tty8 and tty9 both just show blank screens.
Zalbor

Re: 17.2 KDE blank screen (mdm) but sound works

Post by Zalbor »

I tried to remove bumblebee entirely and install nvidia-prime. That didn't fix the issue. But then I used prime-select to switch to the intel driver, and that worked.

I wouldn't call this solved (got to figure out why bumblebee and nvidia don't work) but at least I have a desktop.

I'm still interested in any ideas anyone may have.
(Note: The problem began while the older driver version was installed, so I don't think it's about which drivers I've installed)

Return to “Installation & Boot”