No keyboard input: Gui crypt unlock

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
druBi

No keyboard input: Gui crypt unlock

Post by druBi »

When i restart, the gui unencrypt password does not accept keyboard inputs. When booting from a full-off, there is a different screen... Just text or grub, and password input works fine.

On 18.1 cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: No keyboard input: Gui crypt unlock

Post by Mattyboy »

USB keyboard?

I've had the same thing since Mint 18 was released, now this is debatable but has been discussed here before... It may have something to do with NVIDIA drivers. The person I discussed it with solved the issue by updating to the latest set of drivers but this didn't work on my rig. Another running theory is that, presumably, the drivers for USB keyboards are 'hidden' behind the encryption and something weird is going on with NVIDIA, not very helpful.

Try booting in recovery mode from the GRUB menu, this should allow you to enter your pass and boot. Bit of a weird one and a pain but this did work for me. It may not solve the problem as its been awhile since I ran encryption and there's been plenty of updates since my last attempt.
druBi

Post by druBi »

Yeah usb keyboards are handled by the motherboard.

Again, no problem booting past the crypt login into Linux.

The issue is that when i **restart** it hangs on a different gui.

Everything else works great.
druBi

Post by druBi »

Also id be willing to pay a mint dev or guru a little if they could help resolve this.
superviser

Post by superviser »

i have this same problem :cry:

booting from the recovery did not work either. usually it works and i didn't install anything except some stuff from software manager?

i am kind of an enemy of some online hackers but i don't think they could do anything against linux.

what should i do? this is on an imac with mint 18.3

edit: I reinstalled. Hopefully that never happens again.
queequeg

Post by queequeg »

druBi wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 pm Also id be willing to pay a mint dev or guru a little if they could help resolve this.
I have the exact same problem, and haven't had any success in eliminating. I'm also using nvidia drivers, but updating them hasn't helped.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Maybe try removing the 'quiet splash' kernel parameters, so that you will get a text based prompt to input the password.
To do so :
1 ) Edit /etc/default/grub as root

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
2 ) Find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and replace it by GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
3 ) ctrl+o to save the file, ctrl+x to exit
4 ) update grub to apply the change

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

Return to “Installation & Boot”