Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Will only boot with recovery option

Post by wutsinterweb »

I need to set up so I can work on this system again, so I can give specifics, hope to do so tomorrow, but in the mean time: I have been given a laptop that was built for Vista that had been "upgraded" to Windows 7 that expereinced what turned out to be a known graphics driver problem. No driver is available for download other than the resident one in 7 and it causes the screen to have lines on it as though the screen itself was dying. I knew that the screen might be ok and booted to Mint KDE 18.1 and it boots fine and looks good, so indeed it was a driver issue with Windows 7 and no available good driver.

Now, after installing it will not finish booting to the GUI unless off the live version OR running, from GRUB, the option for repairing the files and once it's done, it boots, if I attempt just normal booting off the HD after installation, it will not boot. Indeed, something may be getting corrupted but why I don't know, even fails on the first boot after install.

Sony laptop.

Should I try a different distro or DE than KDE, is there a chance going with MATE or XFCE might do the trick?
I'm just a student, your guidance is appreciated.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Will only boot with recovery option

Post by jimallyn »

There is a possibility that installing XFCE, MATE, or Cinnamon will fix it, but no guarantees. Probably the best thing you can do right now is boot from the install disk again, open a terminal, enter inxi -Fxz, and copy/paste whatever that command spits out here in your next post. That will give the gurus here a good starting point to diagnose your computer.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

In addition to posting back with command output requested by jimallyn, can you go into more exact detail about what you mean by this?
wutsinterweb wrote:Now, after installing it will not finish booting to the GUI unless off the live version OR running, from GRUB, the option for repairing the files and once it's done, it boots, if I attempt just normal booting off the HD after installation, it will not boot.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb »

Guys, sorry that I couldn't come back sooner, I'll do all that soon and post results.

wutsinterweb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wutsinterweb »

I've been ill guys that's why I haven't dragged all my stuff into the room I was working in on stuff. I recently had a couple persons who I thought were friends do me wrong and they took all sorts of my stuff. It's a long story I won't share. If I am feeling better tomorrow I'll set up and try what you've suggested in my work room. Thank you!

Return to “Installation & Boot”