Crash on

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GRRRRZ

Crash on

Post by GRRRRZ »

Hi!

I am having an issue where Mint crashes once it reaches the "please unlock disk sda3-crypt".

This only occurs when the NVIDIA driver is installed. After I revert back to the open source driver, it boots normally.

While running the NVIDIA drivers, I can to the advanced menu > recovery > start normally > start normally and it boots, the drivers appear to load okay.

I'm running an MSI GT72 2QD-205AU, this has onboard graphics and the NVIDIA 970m 6gb, so I think it may be causing a conflict.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Crash on

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Crash on

Post by Fred Barclay »

This sounds like a similar issue: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... 1/#4494391

Let's try this. Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak
gksudo xed /etc/default/grub
If you're using Mint 17.x, you'll need to change xed in gksudo xed /etc/default/grub to the appropriate text editor. In Cinnamon, "xed" becomes "gedit", in MATE, "xed" becomes "pluma", in Xfce, "xed" becomes "mousepad", and in KDE, "xed" becomes "kate" (I think).

Add the line GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="640x480. It may already be there but commented out (this means it's preceded by a "#"). If so, simply delete the #.
Now look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= followed by some words inside quotation marks. Delete the word "quiet".

Finally, run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
and reboot.

Hope this works!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Installation & Boot”