Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Karam92
Level 1
Level 1

two Mint 17 on laptop, wanna delete one

Post by Karam92 »

Hi,
I first had a Linux mint 17 on my old Dell maschine (Latitude D531) which I got last year, then I lost all the drivers when I tried to update the system (new to Linux, so I might have done something wrong there :? ) then I managed to fix a few but the WIFI didn't come back. However, I then installed a second Mint 17 hoping that by default all drivers will be there, but they weren't :( . so now I have two OSs on the laptop, still using the original one that came with it, cuz it has all my stuff but it has some troubles at booting (I have to assist it every singel time by pressing F1 as the Mint logo emerges). So first I need to erase the other system that i don't need. And then -if possible- fix the original one.

many thanks in advance

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: two Mint 17 on laptop, wanna delete one

Post by austin.texas »

It is no problem to delete the one you don't want. First, boot into the one you want to keep and run the command

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
(that assumes that your Mint is on sda)
Then you can use Gparted to delete the other Mint.
Install gparted:

sudo apt-get install gparted
After the other Mint is deleted, get rid of the old Mint from the Grub menu with the command:

sudo update-grub
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: two Mint 17 on laptop, wanna delete one

Post by gold_finger »

After you delete the unwanted Mint install using instructions posted by austin.texas, post back with more details about what drivers you're talking about. Most hardware drivers are built into the Linux kernel and handled automatically without you having to do anything. Only major exceptions are some wifi drivers (which you said were a problem on yours), proprietary graphics drivers (if they are necessary) and printer drivers. Tell us what drivers (besides wifi) you think you needed (or manually installed) before. Also, post back with output of following command showing the exact specs of your system:

inxi -Fxz
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”