Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MashariF
Level 1
Level 1

new to Mint, installing from bootable usb

Post by MashariF »

im trying to install mint from bootable usb on my laptop, in bios i changed to boot order to usb, then when i boot into grub screen, i see two options, i choose the first coz my trackpad is detected in it, then i saw install icon on the desktop, i clicked on it, went through it until i got a message saying installer detected dev/sdb, and something about creating partitions, i stopped and shutdown.

what's that?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: new to Mint, installing from bootable usb

Post by gold_finger »

/dev/sdb is most likely just the USB stick you are booted from. I forget the exact wording, but you probably got a message that something on /dev/sdb was mounted and were asked if you wanted to unmount it before continuing with installation. It may warn about trying to install to a mounted partition, or something to that effect. This can sound ominous and confusing to a newcomer not knowing exactly what it's referring to.

Anyway, assuming you only have one hard drive in the machine (which will likely show up as /dev/sda), the message is talking about the booted USB stick, not the hard drive that you're trying to install to. The correct answer is to NOT unmount the drive. If you unmount it, it won't be able to perform the installation.

You did not say whether or not you are going to try dual-booting with Windows. If that is your intent and the machine is one that came with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, have a look at this tutorial before trying to install: Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer.

If computer came with a 64-bit version of Windows 7, also have a look at the beginning of above tutorial under "Preparing Windows for the Linux Installation". Use info there to determine whether or not your 64-bit Win7 was installed in UEFI mode or not. If it was installed in UEFI mode, use the tutorial above to do the installation. If it wasn't you can install normally using the "Alongside Windows" install option.

If computer came with either 32-bit Windows 7 or any version of Vista or XP, then it's not installed in UEFI mode and you can perform a normal install using the "Alongside Windows" install option.

If you're at all unsure how to proceed, or what would be best for you, boot with your Mint USB stick, open a terminal window (Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal) and enter the following commands. First one will give us a list of hardware specs for your computer. Second one will show us current partition setup on your hard drive(s).

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
sudo parted --list
Follow instructions shown here for how to copy/paste the full output of those commands back here for us to see.

Also, let us know if you're going to be dual-booting with Windows and which version of Windows?
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”