Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 12054
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Post by austin.texas » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:50 am

f1charlie wrote:If I did that (I probably won't now as it all seems to be working), does Mint automatically install grub on the second drive if I change the boot order or would I have to do something?
Mint does not automatically install Grub - except when you first install Mint.
If you are able to boot into Mint now, you can install Grub to any drive you want - sda, sdb, or even a flash drive, sdc. All you have to do is boot your installed Mint, open a terminal, and enter the command,

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
If you do that first, you can then restore the Windows bootloader to the Windows drive (sda), (if you want to...), and you will be able to set sdb as the first drive in the boot order.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

User avatar
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2886
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Re: Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Post by gold_finger » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 am

f1charlie wrote:Thanks gold_finger, I took a copy of the Windows mbr as advised previously, so I could restore from that. If I did that (I probably won't now as it all seems to be working), does Mint automatically install grub on the second drive if I change the boot order or would I have to do something?
austin.texas answered exactly as I would have. If it were me, I'd just leave things as-is. You wisely made copy of original Windows MBR in case of emergency and can use that any time if it later becomes necessary.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

User avatar
JerryF
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3922
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm
Location: Rhode Island, USA

Re: Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Post by JerryF » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:05 am

@f1Charlie:

Vista is no longer supported since April 11, 2017. I would highly recommend that if you use it to get online, upgrade to something more current.
Capture_011.jpg
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

f1charlie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:44 am

Re: Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Post by f1charlie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:26 pm

gold_finger wrote:
f1charlie wrote:Thanks gold_finger, I took a copy of the Windows mbr as advised previously, so I could restore from that. If I did that (I probably won't now as it all seems to be working), does Mint automatically install grub on the second drive if I change the boot order or would I have to do something?
austin.texas answered exactly as I would have. If it were me, I'd just leave things as-is. You wisely made copy of original Windows MBR in case of emergency and can use that any time if it later becomes necessary.
Thanks I will do.
JerryF wrote:@f1Charlie:

Vista is no longer supported since April 11, 2017. I would highly recommend that if you use it to get online, upgrade to something more current.
Capture_011.jpg
I know, that is why I'm dipping my toe in the world of Linux, but keeping Vista, just in case!

objectchord
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Maine, USA
Contact:

Re: Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Post by objectchord » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 pm

It is easiest to disconnect power to the drive that you do not want it to install to. After installation, reconnect the power and you are good to go.

f1charlie
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:44 am

Re: Dual boot with Vista - how to install to boot drive

Post by f1charlie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:06 am

objectchord wrote:It is easiest to disconnect power to the drive that you do not want it to install to. After installation, reconnect the power and you are good to go.
Not very subtle, but definitely makes sure you won't install to the wrong drive :D

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”