Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bootdoc
Level 1
Level 1

No install along side windows option in Serena

Post by bootdoc » Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 am

Hi all,. I haven't posted here in a long time,. I've been using Linux Mint since version 7 or 8. More to the point I have been helping a friend in Thailand try to install Linux alongside as Windows 8.1. when we got to the installation type page there was no option for install alongside windows. Is that option no longer available?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No install along side windows option in Serena

Post by austin.texas » Tue May 30, 2017 10:36 am

Did your friend reduce the size of the Windows partition to create free space for Mint?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue May 30, 2017 12:47 pm

@ bootdoc

No, it means the Linux Mint Installer was not detecting the Win 8.1 system partition - most likely because of UEFI incompatibility. All post-2012 OEM computers that came preinstalled with Win 8.1 or Win 10 use UEFI/GPT/64bit/Secure Boot technology. Pre-2012 OEM computers use BIOS or Legacy/MBR/ms-dos technology.
....... The UEFI computer needs to be booted in the correct mode via the UEFI BIOS settings before the "Install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" option can appear and be available.

Please refer to the links at my post at ....... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=246483&p=1322575#p1322575

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed May 31, 2017 4:28 am

michael louwe wrote:No, it means the Linux Mint Installer was not detecting the Win 8.1 system partition - most likely because of UEFI incompatibility.
This is likely correct.

michael louwe wrote:....... The UEFI computer needs to be booted in the correct mode via the UEFI BIOS settings before the "Install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" option can appear and be available.
More specifically, if Windows is in fact installed in UEFI mode (which is likely) the computer is already booting in that mode, but the Mint USB stick probably got booted in Legacy mode -- therefore won't see the Windows install correctly. You need to make sure the USB gets booted in same mode that Windows is installed in. There should be a method during initial boot process to get a Boot Menu that offers choices of devices to boot from -- usually by hitting a certain key immediately after powering on. When that boot menu is brought up it should show two options for booting the USB -- one referencing UEFI and one without any reference to UEFI. Choose the one that matches boot mode of Windows.

michael louwe wrote:All post-2012 OEM computers that came preinstalled with Win 8.1 or Win 10 use UEFI/GPT/64bit/Secure Boot technology. Pre-2012 OEM computers use BIOS or Legacy/MBR/ms-dos technology.
This may very well be correct, but I can't say for certain because I don't recall ever reading that before. Just to be absolutely certain, you can have your friend run one terminal command that will give you a definitive answer on what mode Windows is using (and it doesn't matter what mode the USB is booted in when running this command):

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
Have him/her look for the "Partition Table" line under the drive that Windows is installed on. If it says "gpt", then Windows is installed in UEFI mode. If it says "msdos", Windows is installed in Legacy mode. To install Mint, the live USB should be booted in the same mode Windows is using. If that's UEFI, here's a tutorial to follow: Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer.

On the off chance that Windows is installed in Legacy mode and the USB was correctly booted in that mode too, yet you were not offered choice to install "Along side Windows", that means Windows is probably already using 4 "primary" partitions on the drive and that is the limit for msdos/MBR drives. If that turns out to be the case let us know.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”