Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mrniceguy
Level 4
Level 4

Downloading Mint 18.1 on Windows PC

Post by mrniceguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Probably a stupid question... I got a new PC which I'm going to install Mint 18.1 on. I'm not good at this. The last time I installed Linux 16 on another computer it erased the portable HD I had attached to it. I didn't know it was going to do that. Now, I've downloaded Mint 18.1 onto my Windows PC. At the top of the page there's a Download icon. I click on that, and it starts 'Creating linuxmint 18.1 7z in Downloads'. Is that what I want it to do? I'm afraid it's going to erase my Windows HD. I want it to go onto the DVD I have in the drive, not into Downloads.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Downloading Mint 18.1 on Windows PC

Post by MintBean » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:05 pm

All the official links point to a .ISO file. Nothing to do with 7z. That message sounds as if you have asked 7zip to compress the ISO, which is not part of the process.

mrniceguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrniceguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:13 pm

All I did was click on one of the mirror sites, and wait for it to download. It downloaded into the Downloads folder.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 pm

You need to download the .iso file from the Mint Downloads page, then burn the .iso image to a DVD or a USB stick, then boot from that. I am wondering where you are seeing this 7z stuff? There is no need to use 7zip to download or install Linux Mint.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

mrniceguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrniceguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:20 pm

This is the page I got it from: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226. Is that the wrong place to get the download from?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

The site is fine.

I think, that the culprit is in your FF-profile.
Open in FF the preferences -> applications. I assume, that there is an entry for ISO. Remove it. If you try the download again you will probably get asked, what to do with the file; select to download it with FF.

If you use another browser, you should find a similar setting anywhere.

mrniceguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrniceguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Cosmo. wrote:The site is fine.

I think, that the culprit is in your FF-profile.
Open in FF the preferences -> applications. I assume, that there is an entry for ISO. Remove it. If you try the download again you will probably get asked, what to do with the file; select to download it with FF.

If you use another browser, you should find a similar setting anywhere.
Do you mean Firefox for 'FF'? I'm not using Firefox. In my browser, the only thing in the Settings that might be related to this issue, as far as I know, is in the Downloads section. It says Download Location - C:\Users\Downloads and there's a box which is not checked which says 'Ask where to save each file before downloading'. I'm assuming I should check the box and then try downloading it again and then what, when it asks me where to save it should I tell it to save it to the DVD drive?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:31 pm

No, downloading to a dvd drive is impossible. It doesn't matter, where you store the downloaded file on your hard drive, it is only important, that you find it again afterwards.

Yes FF stands for Firefox. If you use another browser (even if you would have named it), I cannot help you. 7z is in principle able, to open an ISO file. So I conclude from your starting post, that on any place there must exist a setting, which associates the ISO download with the 7z packager. If you cannot find a respective setting in the unknown browser, take a look in the 7z settings, perhaps you find something related. Other possibility is the Windows settings about the file type association.

mrniceguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrniceguy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Cosmo. wrote:No, downloading to a dvd drive is impossible. It doesn't matter, where you store the downloaded file on your hard drive, it is only important, that you find it again afterwards.

Yes FF stands for Firefox. If you use another browser (even if you would have named it), I cannot help you. 7z is in principle able, to open an ISO file. So I conclude from your starting post, that on any place there must exist a setting, which associates the ISO download with the 7z packager. If you cannot find a respective setting in the unknown browser, take a look in the 7z settings, perhaps you find something related. Other possibility is the Windows settings about the file type association.
I just downloaded the ISO onto the DVD. Now I want to verify it because it says to do that in the instructions.
1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

3. Download the following files and move them into the "ISO" directory.
On Step 2, it says "1 Day and 22 hours remaining". Is the verification process necessary?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:57 pm

In case it helps, here are the steps for creating a Mint DVD:

- Download the .iso file from the website into a folder on your harddrive. NOT the DVD.
- Follow the steps you found to verify the .iso.
- Download and install a suitable program to make a bootable DVD (or USBstick) with. Recommended software for using under Windows: Rufus.
- Run the software, making a bootable DVD from the downloaded Mint .iso.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:18 pm

mrniceguy wrote:
1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.
The home directory would be in case of Windows "My Files". This is always on the hard drive.

Some software support UDF, which indeed allows to immediately write something to the disk. But for a 1.5 GB file this will take a very long time, so this is definitely not recommended. Furthermore it does not remove the necessity to burn the ISO image properly as ISO to a DVD, so this makes no sense and is a waste of a dvd.

mrniceguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mrniceguy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:15 pm

I managed to burn the ISO onto a DVD. Put the DVD into the drive on the new PC. It works. Attempting to install it on the HD am running into problems. The 1st time, I chose 'Encrypt' and followed all the instructions. It apparently installed it but at the end it told me to restart, so I did, then it said 'remove installation medium and press Enter' so I did that, then it froze. Waited for a long time and nothing changed so I restarted it again. Nothing worked. Put the DVD back in and started over. Tried to install again. This time I chose not to Encrypt. It scrolled a bunch of script on the screen, then froze with a mess on the screen and 2 blinking cursors. Eventually the mess and the blinking cursors disappeared, but it's still frozen. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't 'frozen'. After a while it apparently installed itself and restarted while I was in another room. Now I'm getting the 'Software rendering' issue and don't know where to get drivers - there aren't any other drivers in Driver Manager and there's nothing for Linux on Intel's site.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 am

Boot into either your installed Mint, or use the install DVD again to boot with. Once booted up, open a terminal (Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal) and run this command to list the hardware specs for your computer.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Follow directions shown here to copy/paste the full output of that command back here for us to see. Once we see specs someone will likely know solution to software rendering problem.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”