Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
guttsman007
Level 1
Level 1

PC will not finish installation

Post by guttsman007 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 am

So I used UNetbootin to install Linux Mint 18.1 for a 32-bit system, I believe KDE into my harddrive, overwrote Windows 7 Ultimate.
I was waiting for the installation to complete but it had been hours and hours of waiting. I looked up solutions online and ran a code
to disable the Umbiquity slideshow as it was stuck on the screen where it suggests you ask for help if you get stuck, ironically.
So after running the code, I waited a bit and the slideshow had not moved, in fact, I hadn't seen any progress bar since the installation process
even started, so I exited the installation process and went back to restart it. Turns out, the installation process button opens up for two seconds before closing.
I'm afraid of turning off my PC as I may end up booting to a black screen. What can I do or are there any codes that I can run on terminal that will force the
installation process to open or continue?

This is the code I used:
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-*

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: PC will not finish installation

Post by gold_finger » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:10 am

guttsman007 wrote:I'm afraid of turning off my PC as I may end up booting to a black screen.
If installation got as far as wiping Windows then probably won't boot to any OS. That's not a problem, you can still reboot computer using the live Mint USB/DVD.
guttsman007 wrote:I was waiting for the installation to complete but it had been hours and hours of waiting. I looked up solutions online and ran a code
to disable the Umbiquity slideshow
That may or may not have been the problem, but command needs to be run before running the installer.

Suggest you boot again with Mint USB/DVD and run that command before starting installer. Then try install again and pick option to use the whole disk (erasing anything that is currently on it). If there is an option to download system updates during the installation, do not check that. (Easier to run updates after system is installed.) It is fine to select option (if available) to install "restricted extras" if you want/need them for watching DVD's, etc.

If installer gets stuck again, shut computer off, then reboot with USB/DVD again. This time open a terminal and enter the following commands to list your hardware specs and current partition scheme on hard drives.

Code: Select all

ls /sys/firmware
inxi -Fxz
sudo parted --list
Follow directions shown here to copy/paste full output of commands back here for us to look at. We may be able to tell what problem is from the output.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”