Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which tutorial should I use to reinstall Linux

Post by Sgthawker »

acerimusdux wrote:I'd suggest you also create a seperate partition for /home when you do your install. It just makes things much easier for future installs or updates when all of your files and data are separate from the OS.
I prefer a separate /DATA partition. In particular if you might change DE. I experimented with several and found configurations to be fouled up by the common /home folder, when changing DE. There is a tutorial here somewhere on the mint site.
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Sgthawker wrote:I prefer a separate /DATA partition. In particular if you might change DE. I experimented with several and found configurations to be fouled up by the common /home folder, when changing DE. There is a tutorial here somewhere on the mint site.
HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

@ gold_finger
Thanks mate, I was on an ipad at the time without my bookmarks with that link saved! :D
LM18.3KDE/LM19.3Cin/Peppermint 10R/Kubuntu19.10 UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM18.3KDE/KDEneon5.18/Leap15.1/Kubuntu20.04/Kubuntu19.10/LMDE 4 UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
sarama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sarama »

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

sarama wrote:If you're using windows to install

http://www.angrycomputernerd.com/blog/i ... full-guide
sarama,
You can't install Linux from Windows and that tutorial is not doing that.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

Sorry for the late reply, I had lots of problem reinstalling Linux so I gave up for a while and came back to Windows on my second computer.

@gold_finger
Thank you very much for your help now I managed to reinstall Linux and everything seems to be working fine.

The main reason I wanted to do a re-installation it's because I discovered in "Software Sources" I had:
ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu xenial main and I could not remember I had installed it, so I was a bit worried that it might have created some security issues in my system. Since Cosmo told me it was not legit I decided to reinstall Linux BUT today I found that it's actually part of the KDE version and so it's totally legit. I suppose I can trust the people who have created the Linux-Mint KDE version... Am I wrong or what??

@Sgthawker
Thanks for the suggestion.
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 KDE
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

KIMW wrote:I suppose I can trust the people who have created the Linux-Mint KDE version... Am I wrong or what??
Took a look at the virtualbox test install of Mint KDE I did before and that PPA is apparently included as part of the official install -- so no need to worry.

KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

Thanks. I enabled it again but when I run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
It does not update or download anything.
Should I manually run:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

The PPA has finally updated itself.

@gold_finger
Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”