Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which tutorial should I use to reinstall Linux

Post by Sgthawker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 am

acerimusdux wrote:I'd suggest you also create a seperate partition for /home when you do your install. It just makes things much easier for future installs or updates when all of your files and data are separate from the OS.
I prefer a separate /DATA partition. In particular if you might change DE. I experimented with several and found configurations to be fouled up by the common /home folder, when changing DE. There is a tutorial here somewhere on the mint site.
LM 18.3 KDE/LM 19.1 Cinnamon/Peppermint 10 KDEneon UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, Echelon GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM 19.1 Cinnamon UEFI on Asus ROG STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Sgthawker wrote:I prefer a separate /DATA partition. In particular if you might change DE. I experimented with several and found configurations to be fouled up by the common /home folder, when changing DE. There is a tutorial here somewhere on the mint site.
HOWTO: Create & Use a Separate DATA Partition
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:41 pm

@ gold_finger
Thanks mate, I was on an ipad at the time without my bookmarks with that link saved! :D
LM 18.3 KDE/LM 19.1 Cinnamon/Peppermint 10 KDEneon UEFI on Sabertooth Z170 S, i6700K, Echelon GTX950, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM 19.1 Cinnamon UEFI on Asus ROG STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe

sarama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sarama » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:11 pm

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm

sarama wrote:If you're using windows to install

http://www.angrycomputernerd.com/blog/i ... full-guide
sarama,
You can't install Linux from Windows and that tutorial is not doing that.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:09 am

Sorry for the late reply, I had lots of problem reinstalling Linux so I gave up for a while and came back to Windows on my second computer.

@gold_finger
Thank you very much for your help now I managed to reinstall Linux and everything seems to be working fine.

The main reason I wanted to do a re-installation it's because I discovered in "Software Sources" I had:
ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu xenial main and I could not remember I had installed it, so I was a bit worried that it might have created some security issues in my system. Since Cosmo told me it was not legit I decided to reinstall Linux BUT today I found that it's actually part of the KDE version and so it's totally legit. I suppose I can trust the people who have created the Linux-Mint KDE version... Am I wrong or what??

@Sgthawker
Thanks for the suggestion.
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 KDE
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:03 am

KIMW wrote:I suppose I can trust the people who have created the Linux-Mint KDE version... Am I wrong or what??
Took a look at the virtualbox test install of Mint KDE I did before and that PPA is apparently included as part of the official install -- so no need to worry.

KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks. I enabled it again but when I run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
It does not update or download anything.
Should I manually run:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..

KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 pm

The PPA has finally updated itself.

@gold_finger
Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”