Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fisherpal
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Trying to install Cinnamon as dual boot on Win 10

Post by Fisherpal »

I am trying to install Cinnamon Serena 64 bit on my husband's computer which runs Windows 10. Apparently it is UEFI as, when I booted up with the bootable USB in the drive, nothing happened. So ... held down the Shift key, rebooted again and got the appropriate screen up except ... according to the tutorial I was following, there should be four options in the screen that comes up (Continue, Use a Device, Troubleshoot and Turn Off Your PC). The option to Use a Device is not showing up on the screen. Here is a link to the tutorial I was following if you are interested (http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2016/0 ... drive.html.

I am at a loss here as to what else (if anything) I can do to get Mint installed. Is it at all possible that somehow his computer is solidly locked into Windows 10? I am a bit of a novice here and do not have extensive computer knowledge with these things. I had no problems installing Mint on my old laptop but that was BIOS driven, not UEFI.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Last edited by Fisherpal on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Trying to install Cinnamon as dual boot on Win 10

Post by JerryF »

What make and model is your husband's computer?
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
Fisherpal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fisherpal »

It is a refurbished Dell Optiplex 980 so it didn't come with Windows 10 originally - that would have been loaded on with the refurbishing. Don't know if that makes any difference ...

Also I did go into the power options and turn off 'Fast Boot' in case anyone was wondering ...
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Fisherpal

Dell Optiplex 980 was released in 2010 with Win 7 = it's a BIOS technology computer, and not UEFI. So, you should boot the Live LM 18.1 USB-stick accordingly, ie no need to press the Shift key, etc.

The Win 10 was installed in BIOS/Legacy mode.
Fisherpal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fisherpal »

@ Michael

Thanks for that info. In my digging yesterday, I found the way to double check that as well as I was starting to wonder. I will try a couple of things today and see if I can get this resolved. He really hates Windows 10 and has had to listen to me rave for several months now about how much I am loving my MInt so would be great to give him the same experience.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

From what I see of the Optiplex 980 Tech Guide:
The default BIOS setting for your computer is set for External SATA = Enabled. If not, set it to Enabled.
Capture_020.jpg
Yours should have an eSATA connection (see #11 on pic)
Capture_019.jpg
eSATA = External SATA
Plug your USB flash drive into that (it has the same port opening as a USB port)
See if it boots from that.
Make sure that within BIOS, your setting for Fast Boot is set as Disabled.
Capture_021.jpg
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
Fisherpal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fisherpal »

@ JerryF - spent a goodly amount of time today trying to figure out how the 'bleep' to access the BIOS screen (this will prove what a computer anti-geek I am!). I did finally find a video for the Optiplex outlining a very simple set of instructions that I will try tonight or tomorrow morning. Basically it amounts to restarting while frantically pressing F2 to bring up the BIOS screen. Then going to Onboard Devices and chosing USB Controller, saving changes, etc. I am really hoping this works as it is pretty straightforward. If not ... I will figure out how to access the kind of screen that you were showing and go from there ...
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Fisherpal

During startup, quickly press F2 or F12. F2 is to enter BIOS setup proper. F12 is for selecting a one-time boot menu(= temporary boot order setting). As per ....... http://itechjsc.com.vn/techsupport/dell ... m/bios.htm

Dell Optiplex 980 does not have a boot option for USB Flash-drives. Try the fix at this link .......
http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... t/19335486

Last resort is to create a Live LM 18.1 DVD+R, eg by using the Imgburn program, ...
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183/b ... to-a-disc/
Last edited by michael louwe on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have an Optiplex 990 and I went to F12 and set the boot order to USB first and DVD second and HDD third. . Also turn off fast boot, and turn on Legacy if it is anywhere. I try loading all my Live OS into the desktop before any of the laptops.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Fisherpal wrote:@ JerryF - spent a goodly amount of time today trying to figure out how the 'bleep' to access the BIOS screen (this will prove what a computer anti-geek I am!). I did finally find a video for the Optiplex outlining a very simple set of instructions that I will try tonight or tomorrow morning. Basically it amounts to restarting while frantically pressing F2 to bring up the BIOS screen. Then going to Onboard Devices and chosing USB Controller, saving changes, etc. I am really hoping this works as it is pretty straightforward. If not ... I will figure out how to access the kind of screen that you were showing and go from there ...
Just to let you know, the screen shots are from a printed manual, not what you'll see in BIOS.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

Forget about trying to boot USB the Windows way. Instead follow directions posted by michael louwe:
michael louwe wrote:During startup, quickly press F2 or F12. F2 is to enter BIOS setup proper. F12 is for selecting a one-time boot menu(= temporary boot order setting). As per ....... http://itechjsc.com.vn/techsupport/dell ... m/bios.htm

Dell Optiplex 980 does not have a boot option for USB Flash-drives. Try the fix at this link .......
http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... t/19335486

Last resort is to create a Live LM 18.1 DVD+R, eg by using the Imgburn program, ...
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14183/b ... to-a-disc/
With USB stick plugged in, press <F12> after powering on to bring up per session boot menu. You should see choice to boot from USB there. If that doesn't work, follow advice in second link he provided. Still won't work -- burn a DVD.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

@gold_finger
I don't think that model came with a built-in CD/DVD.

@FisherPal
Does it have a CD/DVD writer?
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

JerryF wrote:@gold_finger
I don't think that model came with a built-in CD/DVD.
OK -- didn't know that. Based on second link posted by michael louwe, looks like booting from USB can be accomplished if <F12> boot menu doesn't work.

P.s.
I don't think it's necessary to disable Fast Boot in Bios, (at least that's something I've never needed to do); but it is necessary to disable "Fast Startup" in Windows 10.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

@gold_finger:
It's funny (strange) to think that an older computer wouldn't have a CD/DVD (if this is so). :wink:

I think that in some BIOS, Fast Boot may interfere with booting from a USB.
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

JerryF wrote:It's funny (strange) to think that an older computer wouldn't have a CD/DVD (if this is so).
Yes, especially if it also can't boot from a USB. :? I've installed to a number of Dells over the years (many of them older than the Optiplex 980) and not had problems booting from USBs, so either Dell messed something up on this particular model or OP just hasn't used procedure that works yet. On Dells I've always used the <F12> boot menu.
JerryF wrote:I think that in some BIOS, Fast Boot may interfere with booting from a USB.
That may be, I just haven't run into that problem myself.

Fisherpal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fisherpal »

Ah, the sweet sound of success! Thank you to the person who provided the links to the Dell Boot Menu, etc. That was very helpful on a number of levels.

Anyway, I had, indeed, disabled Fast Boot from Windows 10 prior. But using the F12 function key did the trick! Once the Mint page came up, the installation process went as smooth as silk. Have installed Cinnamon Xfce - not because the computer couldn't have handled more or an OS but I have just read so many good reports about this particular distro. Am getting a new laptop in a couple of days and this is the distro I will be putting on it as well. It seemed a little sluggish to load up but I am thinking that is just the 'first time' procedure as my Mint 17.3 loads up very fast. Anyway, just glad that my husband isn't having to deal with Windows 10 any more (and so is he!).

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”