Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

First attempts at this, failing: backups [solved]

Postby wutsinterweb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Trying to run the Linux Mint KDE 18.1 backup program/tool, the one in the menu: The process hangs, and I've read here and I've read this thread:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/846262

So I tried this:

Code: Select all

signmeuptoo@signmeuptoo-All-SeriesMint ~ $ find . -type p
./.steam/steam.pipe
./.lastpass/pipes/lastpassffplugin
find: ‘./.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
signmeuptoo@signmeuptoo-All-SeriesMint ~ $

and I tried excluding both entire directories and it still hangs, the tool just won't work.

It appears this has been an issue for years?

Is there anything I can do?
Last edited by wutsinterweb on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to learn!

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: First attempts at this, failing: backups

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:22 am

mintbackup is known for being not reliable. Use another software. I recommend Back in Time.

phd21
Level 13
Level 13

Postby phd21 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi "wutsinterweb",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are many posts in this forum on this topic already, if you search for them.

Backing up
I.) As with any computer system or any computer operating system, it is always a very good idea to backup your system to an external source like an external USB hard drive or large USB Flash Drive, using a hard drive imaging program, ex: like Clonezilla Live boot CD/DVD/USB, before doing anything major, including any major Operating System Upgrades, hard drive partitioning, installing another operating System, installing a systemic application(s), or even adding or updating video drivers. This way, if something goes wrong, you can just restore from your backup.

"Clonezilla live" tutorial
http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image

II.) I use a program like the wonderful and easy to use "FreeFileSync" and or "LuckyBackup" to make daily backups (copies) to the external USB drive of things that change daily, like documents, data, updated passwords, multi-media files (music, video, pics), etc... After the first time running one of these sync applications, it is usually very fast. This has an advantage, in that you can easily & quickly access your files and data in an uncompressed format.

LuckyBackup is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

"FreefileSync" is available from their website, click the Ubuntu 16.04 for Linux Mint 18.x, and you just right click and extract the archive file, and double click the "FreeFileSync" program within that folder. You can create a menu item or desktop shortcut launcher to this as well.
https://www.freefilesync.org/download.php

Download "deb" file or quick "apt" install for Linux Mint 18 (Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial)
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/getdeb_apps/xenial/apps/getdeb/freefilesync

For Linux Mint 17.x there is a PPA
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freefilesync/ffs

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install freefilesync

III.) And, I also use "Aptik" once a month, or more, depending on whether I install a lot of software applications (programs), to backup my Linux Mint settings, customizations, PPA's, software and applications, themes, etc... "Aptik" makes it simple to do a "fresh install" of Linux Mint, if you ever needed to, or want to.

To install "Aptik", download their easy installer ".deb" file, and double click that, or install their PPA below by Opening a console terminal prompt and type in each line one by one, or copy & paste each line, below:

Aptik website - their "homepage" has links to download the 32-bit or 64-bit easy installer Aptik ".deb" file.
http://www.teejeetech.in/2014/01/introducing-aptik.html

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install aptik

IV.) There are programs like "Back in time", "systemback", "Timeshift", and others that you might look into as well, these can do snapshots too. I found that running "SystemBack", or "TimeShift", takes as long or longer than running "Clonezilla Live" though and takes up a lot of space, unless you are using the "Btrfs" Linux file system and "Timeshift Btrfs" which is very quick and space conscience (does not use up a lot of space).

V.) You can also use Internet "Cloud" storage services, like Google Drive (15gb free), "pCloud" (10gb + free) , "Mega.nz" (50gb free), etc... to synchronize your files to and from your computer and the cloud. But, you are limited to however much space your cloud storage provider allows; you can of course pay for extra storage...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 pm

I didn't see a notification for the replies here and didn't know until now that I got a reply, I am now trying aptik with the gui. I will let you all know how it goes.
I want to learn!

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:18 pm

+1 for Aptik.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:20 pm

How can I tell if a process is hanging in aptik? I started backing up the second item on the list, installed apps and the wheel is spinning for a few minutes now.
I want to learn!

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Downloaded Packages?

Capture_004.jpg
Aptik

Where are you backup up the files to? Do you have enough room?
Last edited by JerryF on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Please make clear:

What is the "second item"? Downloaded packages?

You say that you backed up, than installed apps, then you got the spinning wheel. I do not understand, where is the relationship to Aptik, if you install a package.

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Please make clear:

What is the "second item"? Downloaded packages?

You say that you backed up, than installed apps, then you got the spinning wheel. I do not understand, where is the relationship to Aptik, if you install a package.

Cosmo, I think wutsinterweb was quoting the second item as "installed apps".

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes, because I've still got a spinner at the installed apps I didn't recall it's proper name. I have a poor memory, I'm old. I am backup on from my OS instal on SSD to a USB 3.0 External hard dirve with about 600GB of space.
I want to learn!

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Jerry, you might be right, but in this case it would be the third item. Or the second and the third. I hate to do guesses, as they can lead easily to complete confusion - and possibly to wrong advices.

But assumed, that the downloaded packages and / or the installed software got backed up: Both can be tremendous in size and can take some time - especially on a rather slow external drive. So the next question is: Does the LED for disk activity show up?

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm

wutsinterweb wrote:I didn't recall it's proper name. I have a poor memory

You can use the screenshot, which JerryF provided, for remembrance.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Actually it is the 3rd option, installed packages. I clicked the top right corner X of the Windows and started again after seeing two apps, messenger and viber, being in pink. It's once again going but the circle is still spinning so I don't know if I should keep waiting or just proceed...

Ok, getting a screen, just a second.
I want to learn!

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 pm

What does the drive activity LED say?

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 pm

[img]
Screenshot_20170619_184655.png
[/img]
Attachments
Screenshot_20170619_184655.png
I want to learn!

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Does it work, if you exclude this entry? In this case there might be something wrong with this program.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Yes, the spinning wheel just keeps spinning with no popup box showing progress. I am proceeding to the other options and I will go back to it and try again in a moment.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I am still backing up the other items on that list, right now my 3 home directories. If you folks can hang with me I will go back to trying to backup that app list option after the others are done. With that third option my external drive light stays on without flashing and the computer drive light stays unlit.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 pm

The /home directories are still backing up, text screen is scrolling activity, it looks like the shell so far so good, but I still haven't gone back to that third item on the list to try again, I'll do that after all the other options are done.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Ok, so it says it's completed before that spinner appears and gets stuck spinning, I think it's working but not closing at the end, I selected restore and the items all seem to be on the list.

Ok, I am satisfied at this point.

Now on to my other thread to discuss wiping and installing, if I have to wipe things and start all over again, which I've already done, and give up on dual booting windows, as discussed in the other thread in this sub forum, I'm just going to install 18.2 KDE Beta.

Could you all reply in that thread, check back with me and continue there?
I want to learn!

Return to “Installation & Boot”