Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Would this be hard and risky?

Postby wutsinterweb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 am

Well, I'm well on my way now to actually learning Linux/Mint fundamentals and I'm getting to the point where I SEE no point in remaining with a dual boot to Windows 10, which I haven't booted to in a couple months, which brings to me a question I must frame first:

Since I have not booted with my dual boot to the Windows partition/install in a couple months and since Windows updates involuntarily, AND when I tried to see the Windows OS partition with inxi -pl and then with Dolphine, it told me that I had to reboot in Windows for it to properly mount again... WELL, I'm almost or maybe I am already at the point where I don't see a point with keeping Windows at all, and it is using up way too much of my bootup SSD and I need at least some of that space added on to my Linux partition that is on that same SSD in dual boot.

I'd be willing to only resize but frankly, I'm scared of Windows forever borking my Mint install because Windows updates HAVE wiped my Linux installs in the past several weeks past.

Also, do I need to do whatever I do off of the Live OS disk and is there a better way and safer way to do so than using the Linux Mint DVD?

Second also, how do I prevent the bootloader/Grub from breaking?

At the very least I need to give 200 GB of my 320 GB of the Windows part over to the Mint part...

Also, while I'm at it, and I hope I'm not confusing you:

My Linux install does use a separate partition for /home and /, and honestly, I was thinking, why not just move things around where instead of what I have now, which is the 480G SSD having the Windows 10 partition(s), a Linux Swap, and the Linux Mint KDE 18.1 / partition, just instead maybe having a 100GB Windows (and of course it's other required tiny 3? partitions), a Linux / partition that only needs to be as big as it needs to be, and a larger and separate /home partition.

Also, in another thread I asked about the Linux backup tool not working for me and that I did try and cease the 2 piped .x directories (.steam and .lastpass) from being backed up and still that wouldn't work.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Would this be hard and risky?

Postby wutsinterweb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 am

I found this link that goes over some of what I want to do, is it correct?

Also, I cannot create a 5th primary partition when in Mint, so how do I do this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Parti ... ome/Moving
I want to learn!

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:43 am

you may not be able to create a 5th primary partition,
depending on your HDDs layout.

so from the LinuxMint Live Environment, can you get a screen_shot of Gparted,
of the existing HDD, & paste that, back here.

there are a few ways forward:
- re-install LinuxMint & wipe out that win-10, completely.
- move the existing partitions around, messy, but quite do-able
- pull the existing HDD & replace it with another HDD & install LinuxMint onto that.
which is the recommended approach, if you don't mind tinkering with your machine.
:)
or you could, just follow that guide & move your /home partition,
- again, messy, but quite do-able.
& then just re-size your existing / root partition, to suit.

&& yes - there are lots of cases, where an existing win-10 has stuffed some Linux Setup,
and there surely will be even more, to come.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 am

On the way out for the day. It's an SSD and I have no other drives and want to stick with the SSD, so I take it I'll have to do #2 as I definitely don't want to do #2 after all the setting up over the last couple months that I've done, and the fact that the backup won't work.
I want to learn!

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

when you can, post back a screen_shot of the current SSD
& we'll guide you through, what to do, in order to re-arrange those partitions.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Postby gold_finger » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Definitely do post back with screenshot of SSD from GParted/KDE Partition Manager so we can take a look. I'm just going to add a few more points to what Pierre has already said, but do not attempt anything until we (any of us here on forum) have seen pic of your SSD.

wutsinterweb wrote:Since I have not booted with my dual boot to the Windows partition/install in a couple months and since Windows updates involuntarily, AND when I tried to see the Windows OS partition with inxi -pl and then with Dolphine, it told me that I had to reboot in Windows for it to properly mount again... WELL, I'm almost or maybe I am already at the point where I don't see a point with keeping Windows at all,....

I remember seeing this before here on the forums and it turned out that a Windows update had turned "Fast Startup" back on in Windows. When Windows uses Fast Startup, it actually goes into a hibernated state instead of a full shutdown and while in that state locks out access to Windows partitions from Mint. I have a feeling that is what happened to you. Solution is to boot into Windows and disable Fast Startup again.

wutsinterweb wrote:Also, I cannot create a 5th primary partition when in Mint, so how do I do this?

This could also be the result of Windows being in hibernated state, thus you're not able to access/change the partition(s); or it could be due to type of partitioning used on the drive -- MBR or GPT. Traditional MBR partitioned drives have limit of 4 primary partitions. GPT limit is much higher (over 100). I have a feeling this problem is related to Fast Startup having been activated, but won't know for sure until we see pic of your SSD.

Aside from moving current Mint home to a new separate partition, you have another option: keep home where it is now, but move data files to their own partition and just link them back to home. Here's a tutorial explaining this in more detail, but don't attempt anything yet -- just throwing this out as food for thought right now.

If at all possible, I'd highly recommend you get an external USB hard drive that you can use to backup/clone Windows and Mint systems. They are fairly cheap these days ($50-60 for 1TB drive). This will give you ability to recover either system quickly and easily.

wutsinterweb wrote:Also, do I need to do whatever I do off of the Live OS disk and is there a better way and safer way to do so than using the Linux Mint DVD?

Most of the time, yes it is best to do partitioning operations from live USB/DVD. So, if you don't already have one made, make live DVD/USB using ISO file for exact version of Mint you have installed to the drive right now.

wutsinterweb wrote:Second also, how do I prevent the bootloader/Grub from breaking?

No definitive answer covering all scenarios here. In some cases you may not end up needing to do anything and grub will continue to work without any "fix". If it does need to be fixed, that can be done from live Mint DVD/USB and is not normally too difficult to do. We'll provide guidance if that becomes necessary.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Ok, once again I apologize for taking a while to get back and post here. For the last 4 days I've been extremely sleep deprived and just slept for about 13 hours! Phew.

After I am finished making lunch I will post a screenshot of the gparted tool, haven't done screenshots so but I got an app for it so should be pretty easy to do. Can I use the screen shot from the actual boot BEFORE live booting just for the purposes of posting here?

I do have a live/install Mint 18.1 KDE I just downloaded, which is what I installed on here. I hope it is identical to the same version I had downloaded and used a few months ago, which WAS the same version, but this is a new burn since someone stole my old DVD.

What do I check in BIOS (UEFI) in my ASUS Z97 Pro board to verify that it's not using GPT? I do have BIOS set for (I forgot the term) the setting that is right for SSDs (AHCI?)?
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Screenshot_20170619_153853.png
Here this is it
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Fast startup WAS turned off. The bootup to Windows, however, did take care of the drive being visible now.

I have NOT updated Windows 10 for over around 3 months, so the creator's update hasn't yet had a chance to force itself in, and I'm scared of it breaking my Linux install so I am avoiding running Windows 10 for more than about 2 minutes.

Also, let me remind that the backup tool in Mint is hanging, it isn't working, I'll try it again now. I am only trying to backup my /home directory and I am excluding the .lastpass and the .steam directories.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Backup tool still hangs while calculating. I'm trying to use an external drive.
I want to learn!

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DeMus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm

If you haven't booted into Windows for several months,
and if you are at a point to give up on Windows,
then do yourself a favor and start completely fresh with a clean install of Mint, wiping Windows, reclaim the SSD and make the computer a Linux only computer.
Stay with the normal Grub and MSdos partitions (max 4 per disk) so you don't get that Uefi stuff. Keep it simple, make it great.

PS: Backup first everything you need/want to keep.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:16 pm

First off, I very very much don't want to go through a fresh install after all the work to get where it is at now, so I don't want to do that.

Secondly, as I keep saying, the backup tool isn't working!

Third, I may just keep Windows on a a 100 GB partition because the alternative is a virtual tool if I never need Windows and I don't even know if it would work.

I really first need help with the backup tool I think.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm

And when I try from this thread the command mentioned:

viewtopic.php?t=81156https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=81156

signmeuptoo@signmeuptoo-All-SeriesMint ~ $ find . -type p
./.steam/steam.pipe
./.lastpass/pipes/lastpassffplugin
find: ‘./.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
signmeuptoo@signmeuptoo-All-SeriesMint ~ $

As you see, it seems to stop before it is finished.

Ok, I tried with sudo:

signmeuptoo@signmeuptoo-All-SeriesMint ~ $ sudo find . -type p
[sudo] password for signmeuptoo:
./.steam/steam.pipe
./.lastpass/pipes/lastpassffplugin
signmeuptoo@signmeuptoo-All-SeriesMint ~ $

So I AM excluding those two directories and STILL the KDE backup tool hangs on calculating.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Ok, at first I thought I hadn't gotten a reply to my other thread on using the mint back up tool, it still wouldn't work no matter what settings I tried so I looked up back up stuff and then realized maybe a missed a notificaiton for my other thread and checked and saw that aptik is a good tool, so I am trying it right now.

If I say heck with it and do a fresh install after this backup, I think I will just go with the beta of MintKDE18.2. But honestly I am thinking that I might not want to wipe out Windows, I'm very torn still.
I want to learn!

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Try using a different backup tool. There are several to choose from.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Ok, it seems that third item is hanging, I am proceeding with the other options and backing them up first, then I will go back. I just get a spinning wheel like the screenshot so I think it is hanging.
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Ok, I think I've successfully used the backup tool so now to confront whether or not to just wipe out things. I kinda want to proceed. I had been thinking of keeping Windows but if you guys think, heck with it, I'll just put the 18.2 beta of Mint KDE on and wipe Windows...
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Ok, I in the end here I accepted the advice to just nuke and reinstall. I have reformatted the drive and installed only 18.2 beta KDE and I'm running the restore steps of Aptik right now. Aptik was NOT available via either gui package tool, interestingly...
I want to learn!

wutsinterweb
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wutsinterweb » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Should I post that this is [solved], I didn't end up using the procedure and just nuked drive and installed Mint KDE 18.2 Beta only. If I need Windows I'll have to do a VM or something.

Those of you who have the same questions I hope the above discussion and links help!
I want to learn!

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Postby gold_finger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:05 am

Sorry I didn't have time to check back on this thread until now -- and it appears you've solved problem by wiping drive and installing new Mint KDE.

Just posting this info now so you understand why you ran into problem trying to create new partition. The GParted pic you posted confirmed that the drive was using MBR partitions and already had the max amount of "primary" partitions, thus it wouldn't let you create any more. On an MBR drive, you can have a max of either 4 primary partitions, or a combination of 3 primary partitions and an "extended" partition which serves as a container for multiple "logical" partitions.

In your pic, /dev/sda1, 2, and 3 are primary partitions; /dev/sda4 is an extended partition within which are the two logical partitions /dev/sda5 and 6. In order to make more partitions, you would have needed that large "unallocated" space to be within the extended partition. As you can see in the pic, it happens to be trapped between two of the primary (Windows) partitions. If it were next to the extended partition, you could have simply expanded the extended partition into that space, then made another logical partition afterwards. I suspect that the small /dev/sda3 Windows partition is something that couldn't be deleted without compromising operation of Windows. Maybe that partition could have been moved to the left, next to the sda2 partition without affecting operation of Windows? I really don't know because I'm not sure what purpose it serves -- someone else may chime in with better answer on that.

Bottom line -- you were stuck in a very difficult situation to get out of cleanly.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”