Slow boot 18.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Slow boot 18.1

Post by riki »

Maya was booting in about 30 seconds...Serena 18.1 well over a minute. Disappointed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Slow boot 18.1

Post by greerd »

Hi riki,

If you give some information someone might see something that could be an issue.

Posting the output of systemd-analyze blame, lsblk -f and cat /etc/fstab might tell us something.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

I also noticed that 18.1 was significantly slower to boot than 17.3, so much so that I deleted 18.1. Problem solved.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

greerd wrote:Hi riki,

If you give some information someone might see something that could be an issue.

Posting the output of systemd-analyze blame, lsblk -f and cat /etc/fstab might tell us something.
Other than I am running Mate environment what else can I add? I have just timed it and it takes no less than 1 minute 40 seconds. I can reduce it by 10 seconds if I click on user (me) instead of waiting for the 10 second "pause before login". With Maya "user" didn't come into it and it booted in 30 seconds. One thought: can I remove "user" to boot faster?
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

I don't run Mate but I'm fairly sure you can set it to auto login which sounds like what you had on Maya.

What I was getting at with my commands was that sometimes the uuid of the swap partition is different between your fstab and the actual uuid as listed by 'lsblk -f' which causes the boot process to wait while trying to mount swap (until a timeout) causing a needlessly long boot time.

The command 'systemd-analyze blame' gives a readout of the boot process and can sometimes show where the holdup occurs.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

greerd wrote:I don't run Mate but I'm fairly sure you can set it to auto login which sounds like what you had on Maya.

What I was getting at with my commands was that sometimes the uuid of the swap partition is different between your fstab and the actual uuid as listed by 'lsblk -f' which causes the boot process to wait while trying to mount swap (until a timeout) causing a needlessly long boot time.

The command 'systemd-analyze blame' gives a readout of the boot process and can sometimes show where the holdup occurs.
Thanks greerd, I'll keep experimenting. Regards.

Return to “Installation & Boot”