Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gregkoutsikos
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.2 installation problem

Post by gregkoutsikos »

Hello,i tried to install mint 18.2(had problems with 18 and 18.1) from a usb drive,but the installer crashes(screenshot with the message i get)..My laptop is an acer aspire es1-132,with an emmc 32gb drive as storage(i mention it because the crash is at storage screen)..When the screen that shows storage to install appears,there are no options,and if i press the + - or change option this message appears..I should also mention that in bios i cant change between uefi and legacy because there is no option to do that,and i have secure boot disabled..I try to install while i am connected to internet with wifi..What can i do?Thanks in advance..

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint 18.2 installation problem

Post by JoeFootball »

gregkoutsikos wrote:... the crash is at storage screen ...
From what I can infer from the error, Ubiquity (the installer itself) is crashing when it's trying to invoke PartMan (the partition manager).
gregkoutsikos wrote:What can i do?
Speaking for myself, I never bother with the partition manager within installers. I recommend booting to GParted Live, where you can easily create, delete, and modify your partitions. When complete, then boot the Linux Mint installer, where you can disregard the need to modify any partitions from within there. That may avoid the problem you're encountering.

Otherwise, the stable version of Linux Mint 18.2 is very close to being released. Assuming that you're attempting this with the beta version, perhaps the stable version may be worth waiting for.

Joe

gregkoutsikos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregkoutsikos »

Thanks for the response,i tried booting to gparted live via usb,but still the emmc drive doesnt show up..Its not possible to install mint on emmc?What else can i try?

Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

JoeFootball wrote:
Otherwise, the stable version of Linux Mint 18.2 is very close to being released. Assuming that you're attempting this with the beta version, perhaps the stable version may be worth waiting for.
Actually the LM 18.2 final is available in the mirrors now. Just not officially announced yet. I downloaded and installed it yesterday morning. CINN, MATE, KDE & XFCE are all available.

Return to “Installation & Boot”