Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
djk44883
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Replacing" Mint

Post by djk44883 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Crusader wrote:
  • I flashed BIOS to 214 - the most recent version - even that doesn't support booting live OS from DVD.
    The system still does not recognize any of the USB ports - that eliminates the option of booting from USB.
I'm sorry to hear you're still hitting a wall even after BIOS update. I recalled grub2 can boot iso images. I have never attempted it... This is if you're really serious and have time for R&D, i think. I was suprised to find this, excerpt: "Ubuntu ISOs are designed to allow booting directly from the hard drive using GRUB 2 and eliminates the need for burning a CD/DVD" at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot (makes it sound easy enough :lol: ) linux mint is built from ubuntu, so it should be extremely similar, supposedly. Here's some Grub2/ISOBoot/Examples to go along with it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... t/Examples
The article goes on saying it's so you can "try ubuntu", but you pretty much have to have linux, installed first - to have grub available. Even though I have a reasonable understanding what it all means, for someone just wanting to "try ubuntu" I'd say it's a bit advanced compared to creating a CD/DVD or bootable USB. Then again, if you read up on it and follow the steps it might be just what you need to make this happen. :)
Just wondering, how did you install linux mint the first time?
If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost... the Minnow would be lost!

djk44883
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djk44883 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 am

Spearmint2 wrote:

Code: Select all

Card-2: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G210M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz, 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce G210M/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102
Nvidia graphics chip used. Need to load Nvidia drivers, but first need to get video using "nomodeset".
Known issues
Can't boot? Use a previous release and upgrade instead

There are 4 different Linux Mint 17.x releases available:

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" (kernel 3.13, xorg 1.15, mesa 10.1.3)
Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" (kernel 3.13, xorg 1.15, mesa 10.1.3)
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" (kernel 3.16, xorg 1.15, mesa 10.1.3)
Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" (kernel 3.19, xorg 1.17, mesa 10.5.9)

Solving freezes with NVIDIA GeForce GPUs
This may not be relevant, I recently tried to revive an old laptop with nvidia graphics. Was frustrated when nvidia-legacy wouldn't install from 18.2 Not exact on versions here, didn't re-research, it needs xorg 1.15 and 18.2 (16.04 ubuntu) now has 1.18. At the time no one seemed to know why it was there if you couldn't even install it, or a work-around.

So if his nvidia is now older than what worked with 17.x it may be more troublesome now. Even so, with nomodeset I understand it should be irrevelent at least enough to get something going.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost... the Minnow would be lost!

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 am

Crusader wrote:
  1. I should have addressed this question earlier since I looked at it right after you posted the image. Yes, your and my DVDs look exactly alike. I also watched the video and I am using the same routine you are - unfortunately, with different results.
  2. I tried this a few minutes ago and the result is no different from when I let the laptop boot in the order I have set it (CD/DVD first and then Hard Drive): the "DOS" login appears and when I don't do anything (hoping it will automatically boot), the screen goes blank with intermittent appearance of the flashing cursor - this goes on and on and on...
  3. Yes, I use "Burn image" (last option) when burning the ISO image to DVD. Fortunately, the directions are pretty clear and hard to miss. The Brasero image you have is exactly what shows up on my screen when I start Brasero. I tried to post the image, but it looks like I need a url to post the image - something I am not sure about.
As always, your support is greatly appreciated!
Boy, this is perplexing. Your machine obviously booted from a USB or DVD before, because you have Mint on there from a few years ago. There has got to be a setting(s) in BIOS that needs to be changed :?: It could be very helpful if you can post pics of your BIOS screens. I got the one I posted from the net just as an example.

With regards to posting pics, what I do is take pic(s) and resize them using an app, to something like 800 x 600 pixels, then save them as jpg(s) with a quality of around 50. That usually makes them small enough in file size (they have to be smaller than 100 kb) to attach them to the posting. I believe the maximum number of attachments is 3 per posting.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:Nvidia graphics chip used. Need to load Nvidia drivers, but first need to get video using "nomodeset".
Hallejulah! "Nomodeset" was the magic word I needed!

Spearmint2: your suggestion was Mint - literally. I was able to install Linux Mint 18.2 by changing "quiet splash" to "nomodeset." To make a long story short, I installed 3 times and ended up erasing 17.3 - which was not the worst thing, because I have data backups - which I have successfully uploaded. However, as the saying goes, "devil is in the details." So here we go:

In trying to get to the 2nd step of "nomodeset," when I hit E (for edit) during startup, I get the opportunity to edit the text on the screen. When I change "quiet splash" to "nomodeset," I get an error message about something not found and I have to reboot. I don't have the exact message at this point, but will capture and share it.

I believe, because of my inability to execute the 2nd step (above paragraph), boot time takes very long. The "LM" Mint logo comes on with 5 dots underneath and it takes a long time to run before Linux MInt 18.2 loads. This is the same logo that appears when one is trying to install Linux Mint (this is shown in JerryF's video).

I have 2 external monitors (I don't use the laptop screen) which I use as one (extended monitor). I adjust the settings, but when I restart, the monitors become a mirror of each other. I tried upgrading from open source driver to NVIDIA recommended driver, but the settings change and the screen moves horizontally.

I greatly appreciate the solid support I have received to enable me to get Linux Mint 18.2 and am a little apprehensive about seeking further assistance (for the issues above). It seems if I can successfully execute 2nd part of the "nomodeset," then boot and monitor issues may be resolved - but that is just my guess.

Again, thank you to everyone who helped me get to Linux Mint 18.2!
LO 6.x on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
In a world without walls, who needs Window$

Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:45 pm

JerryF wrote:Your machine obviously booted from a USB or DVD before, because you have Mint on there from a few years ago. There has got to be a setting(s) in BIOS that needs to be changed
I will address this because somebody else also mentioned this. To the best of my recollection, I installed 17.3 (or an earlier version) from a CD/DVD. Could the BIOS settings have changed: very unlikely, but who knows? The only thing I have done to BIOS has been a couple of days ago: flashed it to 214.

In reference to my previous post, could I edit the initial text (I don't know what it is formally called) from Terminal (after booting)? I guess Terminal can be directed to all files - so this may be (at least theoretically) possible.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Crusader wrote:As for bringing up the boot order, the Esc key worked: it brought up 2 options:
HDD
CD/DVD
There was no USB option, nor did I see an option to add USB
Ozo wrote:The USB stick has to be plugged in before the option will appear in the BIOS boot options.
In other words, what Ozo meant was to plug the live USB into computer, then boot and hit the <Esc> key to bring up boot menu. USB should now show as one of the boot options and you shouldn't need to bother messing around in the main Bios Settings/Setup Menu.

Try this -- it should work!

Crusader wrote:Yes, I am using a rewritable DVD.
JerryF wrote:That may be part of the problem. If the DVD write session isn't closed properly, you may get glitches. I would highly recommend getting the DVD -R type.
In all liklihood using DVD-RW is causing problem. If booting from USB as noted above does not work, burn ISO to a DVD-R instead of DVD-RW disc. (Note: If you can boot USB, but still have blank screen problem see below. Don't bother with DVD-R -- it will result in same blank screen.)

If are now able to boot either USB or DVD-R and still get blank screen problem, follow instructions as noted by Spearmint2 to add "nomodeset" to grub parameters.
  • Boot with live USB/DVD
  • When menu shows, keep "Start Linux Mint" highlighted and press <TAB> key
  • Using arrow keys, move to and delete "quiet splash" and type in "nomodeset" (without the quotes)
  • make sure there is a space between "nomodeset" and the final "--" on the line
  • hit <Enter> key when done.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 pm

I have 2 external monitors (I don't use the laptop screen) which I use as one (extended monitor). I adjust the settings, but when I restart, the monitors become a mirror of each other. I tried upgrading from open source driver to NVIDIA recommended driver, but the settings change and the screen moves horizontally.
Start a new thread on that one, it's a whole 'nother can of worms. Basically, it involves xrandr command and maybe some arandr and hyper display adjustments.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] "Replacing" Mint

Post by Crusader » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:19 am

Good suggestion, Sprearmint2: the new thread can be found here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”