Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
N3CDX_Chip
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh install Mint KDE 18.2

Post by N3CDX_Chip » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 pm

{SOLVED}I wanted to do a fresh install of Linux mint KDE 18.2 but, It does not give the option to erase disk and install. Was that feature discontinued in 18.2 or am I missing something. I like for it to format the drive and do a clean install. Not familiar with Gparted or doing partitions manually. Thanks in a advanced..
Last edited by N3CDX_Chip on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Fresh install Mint KDE 18.2

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 pm

If you use the simple most installation method to replace the drive content with a new install, the drive gets automatically newly formatted. If you use the "something else" method you can and must select in the settings for each partition to format it.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 pm

N3CDX_Chip wrote:I wanted to do a fresh install of Linux mint KDE 18.2 but, It does not give the option to erase disk and install. Was that feature discontinued in 18.2
Not that I'm aware of.

Are you by any chance trying to install on a drive that is currently running Windows 10?

If yes, you'll need to disable Windows "Fast Startup" so that it actually does a real shutdown vs. going into a hibernated state (which is default behavior in Win10) so that Mint's installer will properly recognize the drive. It should then offer option to install as you wish.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

N3CDX_Chip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by N3CDX_Chip » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:22 am

gold_finger wrote:
N3CDX_Chip wrote:I wanted to do a fresh install of Linux mint KDE 18.2 but, It does not give the option to erase disk and install. Was that feature discontinued in 18.2
Not that I'm aware of.

Are you by any chance trying to install on a drive that is currently running Windows 10?

If yes, you'll need to disable Windows "Fast Startup" so that it actually does a real shutdown vs. going into a hibernated state (which is default behavior in Win10) so that Mint's installer will properly recognize the drive. It should then offer option to install as you wish.
Trying to clean install Mint KDE 18.2 that currently has manjaro KDE on it. Mint use to give the option to erase disc, install beside, and a few other options. Now, those options are gone. Im assuming the option i want is to Use the whole drive?

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:53 pm

N3CDX_Chip wrote:
gold_finger wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Trying to clean install Mint KDE 18.2 that currently has manjaro KDE on it. Mint use to give the option to erase disc, install beside, and a few other options. Now, those options are gone. Im assuming the option i want is to Use the whole drive?
That option may no longer be visible. Two ways to do it:

1. Select something else and and manually delete the partitions.

2. Before running the installer, use teh KDE partition editor to erase all the partitions and create a new disk partition table. Than run the installer and use teh default for whole disk.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 pm

N3CDX_Chip wrote:Mint use to give the option to erase disc, install beside, and a few other options. Now, those options are gone. Im assuming the option i want is to Use the whole drive?
Yes, if you want to wipe-out and replace Manjaro with Mint KDE, that is the option to pick for erasing what's currently on the drive and then installing to it.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”