Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
johanna
Level 2
Level 2

skype crashes system

Post by johanna »

I installed the newest version of skype, but every time I access it, it crashes the system. So for the moment I will stay with Skype 4.3
, but it only works with two of my contacts who are also on the old obsolete version. The rest of my contacts can not see me on line, even though I am. And I can not send them any messages. Does any body else have this problem?
regards, Johanna

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Re: skype crashes system

Post by prestonR »

They announced that linux users have to change to the new version or they'll only be able to contact other users that are on 4.3 and, as far as I know, even that won't last long; in fact I'm surprised it still works, I think 01.07.17 was the deadline.

You could try ghetto-skype https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype/releases
It's very similar to the new skype for linux, basically web-skype in an app wrapper. In case you're on a 32bit system, it's the only 32bit skype for linux still available.

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

Thank you so much for your reply, I will look into ghetto skype and see if it will work.
I know skype4.3 was made obsolete by microsoft, but I have mint18 32 bit installed on my desktop. So I installedmint 18 64 bit on my other hard drive and put skype.5 on, But that one crashes the system every time I go near it. So your suggestion might be a good option. thanks again.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "johanna",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

1.) It might also be that you must completely delete the previous older Skype before installing the newer Skype, and I think the newer Skype is for 64 bit only computers.

To remove completely the older version of Skype, run the command below from a console terminal prompt.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge skype
2.) Another excellent option is to stop using the insecure Skype application, and you and everyone you want to video chat or multimedia message with, install a secure multi-media application, like "Wire" (made from Skype developers), or "qTox" (QTox) my favorite, Ring (no 32-bit and no Linux Mint before 18.x), "Linphone", "Jitsi", etc...

Previous post with good information...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=251005

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

the newer Skype is for 64 bit only computers
Yes, that's right, at least on the linux side. I've faced the same problem until I've found the 32bit ghetto-skype, which, miraculously, still works.
stop using the insecure Skype application
Kkkk, yep, but how to convince all your contacts? Yes, qtox is great if you manage to do that. By now I put it on any machine I set up for others, in case they need to get in contact or need a tool for file transfer.

The puzzling issue remains, though; why does the new skype crash the 64bit machine? I know that many users had problems with the alpha/beta versions but this should be ironed out by now. Where did you download from, skype.com or microsoft? For 64bit I use skype.com and it works fine on various, mostly older, machines.

Return to “Installation & Boot”